Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Everyone. I have an 1985 Aspy and have been having some problems. I replaced the stator last year thanx to the encouragment of this site and it went well.

Current problem. I had a melted main fuse holder so replaced it with a new main fuse and starter relay. Now the ignition fuse blows out after the bike almost starts. It has run a couple of times but then quits and fries yet another fuse. I replaced the new starter relay with the old one and it did the same thing so I am thinking the problem is in the starter. Is this normal that a starter just begins to jam or something and blow fuses or could it be a short?

Thanx for your input:?

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

The starter is not fused, at least not supposed to be. You have a short elsewhere. I will try to find some more info and get back to you if someone else doesn't get to it first.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanx I was really surprised because this had not been a problem before. If it is a short then I will have a closer look through the system

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

A question to help narrow it down. Does it only blow the fuse if you are trying to start the engine and not just with the switch on? The ignition fuse runs the ignition, charging system, starting system and fuel pump. If it does not blow the fuse when you turn the ignition on until you try to start it the problem could only be in the start system or fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

It only blows when I try to start the engine. I am using a 10 amp in the ignition which I beleive was the one always used.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Im pretty sure that one is a 20 amp, Time to look in the manual!!

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

If it is the main fuse at the starter soleniod it is a 30amp fuse.

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

10 amp is the correct fuse.
Disconnect the fuel pump and see if it will crank over without blowing the fuse.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

It is a 10 amp and I will try the fuel pump idea tonight. A great fall here in Manitoba and I have to drive the car!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

It catches and putters just fine with the fuel pump unplugged. I seem to be getting power to the white side of the plug when it is running but not the greenish one. The wire from the top of engine down to the pump looks fine and the pump wire looks good. I cannot pull out the wire in the pump. Should I replace pump or would the green wires lack of power be the problem. I remember the previous owner saying something about replacing the fuel pump but it wasn't really the problem. I tested the fuel pump earlier this year and lots of fuel was coming out.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

It seems to be fixed. I followed the wire back from the fuel pump harness and found some open wounds and retapped them. It has started several times and I took it for a little run and seems to be doing great.
Not a bad day I learned to use a testing light and how to test the fuel pump in an easy way.
Thanx for all your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.