Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I've got a questions for everyone out there.

I've been in the process of getting my recently acquired '84 GL1200 (57k miles) roadworthy for a few long trips this summer. I've gone through almost every system and the bike is currently running great. The only area I haven't touched is the ignition system, so here's my question:

Are there any parts of the original ignition system that typically fail in mid-ride on these bikes? We're heading up to Banff in August and I think the ignition system is the only thing that could let me down at this point.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

On the 84, ignition switches can give problems. Pulse generators can fail and cause the engine to cut out when warm. To be honest, I would just enjoy the ride and not worry too much about what might break down.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

If you feel compelled to do something clean the pulse generator connectors and the ECM connectors with an electrical contact cleaner. On the 87 I think the pulse gens connector is up right next to the ECM. Heck while you have the shelter off just clean and inspect every electrical connection you can find.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

as a matter of course i would want the upgrade the stator,regulator and the solenoid connectors by hardwiring and replacing the dogbone with an ato fusholder

the pg would be a concern but since its an 84 that pretty much requires partial engine removal to replace,at worst you could carry a spare,especially since if you had to take it to a dealer out in the boonies they wouldn't have one in stock

no matter what you do or take,you can never plan what might happen,just enjoy the trip and be safe,lots members in bc,just have a way to get to the site for help

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the info Neoracer. I ended up doing the alternator conversion a few months ago and haven't looked back since, what a great improvement, complete with peace of mind knowing if the new one goes, I won't have to pull the engine to replace it!

So this was interesting. I went to check out/ clean the connections on the pulse generator, and I remembered when I did the timing belts awhile back there was something that looked like the pulse generator on the crank pulley (!). At the time I didn't pay any attention due to being focused on the task at hand, i.e. replacing the belts and installing the external alternator. After putting two and two together yesterday I realized something wasn't right because, as stated by Neo, the '84's had the PG in the back (mine's an '84).

Well, I just ran the serial number on the engine, turns out the motor is from an '87 Goldwing, news to me. My odometer says 57k, I'm hoping the engine might have fewer miles than that!

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
imported post

casetractor wrote:
snip... Well, I just ran the serial number on the engine, turns out the motor is from an '87 Goldwing, news to me. My odometer says 57k, I'm hoping the engine might have fewer miles than that!
That is really good news if you ever have to replace the PGs. Wouldn't be fun pulling the engine just for that.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
imported post

pretty sure PGs are N/A new for the 1100, if 1200 is the same deal, i'd get spares

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

pdbro wrote:
pretty sure PGs are N/A new for the 1100, if 1200 is the same deal, i'd get spares
The 84 is the only 1200 with the pulse generators in the rear like the 1100 and although they have the same function they're not interchangeable. Plus they're N/A for the 84 too.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
pdbro wrote:
The 84 is the only 1200 with the pulse generators in the rear like the 1100 and although they have the same function they're not interchangeable. Plus they're N/A for the 84 too.
Don't know how long they will be available but just this week I ordered and received a set of pulse generators for a 1200. C$105 + taxes

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
Don't know how long they will be available but just this week I ordered and received a set of pulse generators for a 1200. C$105 + taxes
That would be for the 85-87. For the 1100 and 84 1200 they're NLA.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
tricky wrote:
That would be for the 85-87. For the 1100 and 84 1200 they're NLA.
Yes forgot to mention 85 Aspy

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

While the ignition system is probably ok, the 1200 is well known for charging system problems. I would check the stator and the R/R per the manual, and check ALL the white plastic connectors in the wiring, from the stator to the R/R. If you find anything burned, cut out all the connectors and solder the wires together. Also check the R/R itself for excessive heat. It is normal for it to run pretty warm, but it it is hot enough to burn you from just a momentary touch, something is wrong. Since you have an '84 with a 350 watt stator, hopefully you will not have the problems I had with my '85 LTD with the 500 watt stator.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
As gaswing said just ride it.
Your ignition components have lasted for 28 years and there's no reason to expect them to fail now.
Good suggestions all, but I like this one the most.......

There are simple maintenance items that you could look out for but I wouldn't start replacing parts just because they might fail. Go ride! Enjoy!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Just want to mention that 1984 GL1200 pulse generators are in fact mounted in a difficult to access location on the engine (requires swing arm removal), but, the failure rate of 1984 pulse generators are almost non existent compared to the failure rates for 85 - 87 pulse generators which are mounted directly in the intense heat of the radiator. Not certain, but, I'm guessing the reason for the better lifespan of the 84 pulse generators could be in their location which is in a much cooler spot behind the engine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry just jumping on here, I too just got an 84 and like yourself I'm planning a big ride but to Seattle this summer. I too have been trying to figure out what else to replace and I have just done the alt conversion too. I replaced the maintance items,belts, hoses, plugs, coolant, t-stat,oil and some wires. Other then that I need to get it on the road and see what else it needs or doesn't?

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Don't forget to check brake pad thickness, change clutch and brake fluid and make certain that you properly grease the rear wheel splines with moly 60 lube. Brake hose condition ( I use braided stainless steel hose) because 30 year old rubber brake hose may have cracks and weak spots. Make sure you have extra fuses for all electrical circuits and it would be wise if you disassembled, cleaned and tightened all electrical connections, because, doing it on the side of the road in the dark is a real pain. Thank goodness Tricky was riding with me when my electrical connections failed as it took two people to fix the darn thing on the roadside at night. You should also check all wheel bearings for smoothness, if any roughness felt then change the bearings before you leave. Final drive lube is often overlooked, but, without proper oil level the driveshaft can fail. This will get you started as I am certain there are more items that you can check. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.