Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just recently purchased a 1984 gl1200 aspencade and the odometer doesn't work. i have removed the windshield and the visor around the dash. my question is, are there bolts holding the cluster to the fairing and how do i get to them? that is the only thing holding me back from pulling the cluster. i have the radio out and the clock out just can't figure out where or how to get to those bolts!!!

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

are you saying the speedometer works but the odometer doesn't?

you have already pulled the speakers ect right?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

yes this has the little motor driven odometer from what i have found out..all the digital stuff works..just trying to get to odometer to lube it

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

As the picture shows...

The upper left is a bugger to get to.

Make sure on the lower ones you are removing nuts, not bolts.

The bolts hold the fairing on. :shock:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

ok i got to and lubed the odometer. it turned freely with my fingers. now i am thinking problem could be pulse generator? any ideas. i found how to check it in the clymer manual. looks like engine has to be removed to check it? don't think i am gonna tackle that one.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

The Aspencades have a speed senser on the front wheel in place of a speedometer cable drive. I guess that it does count/generate pulses for the digital dash, but if it was faulty why would the speedo work ???Might have to dig into the manual and start checking the wiring behind the Instruement cluster... :gunhead:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

Some of those odo's had plastic gears, some metal. I could see how the plastic ones might dry out and fail but I don't think the unit should turn by hand. Have you got the whole dash out of the bike?

I don't think Honda ever offered any parts. If anything in that dash failed, the whole thing got replaced. That doesn't mean you couldn't repair it, if you had a burned out doner.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

When my odo stopped I pulled it out and cleaned it up good. The motor turned freely and I didn't see any reason that it would not work. I assumed the little motor was trashed. I added a drop of light oil to it and greased the gears with some white lithium grease then put it back in. The odo still didn't keep up on my test ride. I started watching ebay to pick up another odo, but after a couple rides it started working. I can only assume it took a bit for the oil to find it's way where it needed to be. Just because it turns freely by hand doesn't mean it's not hanging up.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I just recently purchased a 1984 gl1200 aspencade and the odometer doesn't work. i have removed the windshield and the visor around the dash. my question is, are there bolts holding the cluster to the fairing and how do i get to them? that is the only thing holding me back from pulling the cluster. i have the radio out and the clock out just can't figure out where or how to get to those bolts!!!
Hi. I just got a 1987 1200 Aspencade. The digital clock (with the key slot for removing the radio) doesn't work. I have tried prying it and cussing at it but neither of these things work to get the clock out. Can you tell me how you did it? Thanks! Dean

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dean,

I have an 84 GL1200A and I had to remove the radio. Once removed, I could reach behind the clock (tight space) and there was one threaded stud on the back side of the clock that held a "U" shaped brace. That brace held the clock against the fairing dash. There was also one connector/wire harness that needed to be unplugged. If my memory serves correctly, I may have removed the right speaker to access the nut mounted on the stud...can't remember if that exercise was successful, but I did get the clock off and then remounted it.

Also, my clock has a fuse below the left side pocket, you need to check that too, especially if you are not getting power to the clock. Another point that I found with my clock, it was intermittently working and I could not figure out what was going on. Eventually my starter solenoid began causing me problems and I found where it had melted to the point where it failed. Since replacing it, my clock works consistently. I hope this helps you.

Richard

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
I think the clock is intended to not be removable for radio security reasons.

As Richard said, you may be able to get to it from the radio cavity or through the speaker port. The right way is to remove the cluster shroud and the clock comes out with it.

I'd certainly check the fuses first though.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. :waving:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.