Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After doing several searches, I haven't seen any discussion on the recent gremlins I'm encountering. My 84 Aspencade is having random headlight failures.

It started this last weekend while visiting friends. I started the bike up and I had all my lights except the headlights. High or Low would not work. I shut the bike off and started it again, lights came on. Earlier that day, I had replaced the battery. Also, when used the horn earlier in the day, it barely made a sound. I chalked it up to a loose battery cable and retightened the connectors. They weren't loose though. (The horn worked loud and clear after the lights came back on. (I can't imagine how both issues are connected.) I drove it several days without issue.

When riding last night, my digital dash started freezing on "2" for the single digit. I've always had missing lcd sections in the numbers, but it reads 52, 62 or 72 depending on my speeds. (again, I don't think it's connected to the headlight issue)

Tonight, the headlight failure gremlin returned. I stop and started the engine several times to no avail, wiggled the ignition key, checked all the fuses, banged the light and checked the battery cables. Since it had just turned dark and I had running lights, I drove from the theater to Meijer's and actually found replacement bulbs. I intended to replace them in the parking lot. I started the bike to move under the overhead lights and the headlights came on.....

While I was relieved that I could drive home immediately, I'm confused. Once home, I shut off the bike and restarted and the lights were still working.

My bike has the full alternator conversion, so I don't have a Stator to deal with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I have an 1100 so I'm not sure it's the same. I had the same headlight problem it would just go out sometimes it turned out to be the starter button. The starter is a dual switch when you press it it turns off the lights and engages the starter. You can clean it with contact cleaner it might work. I bought a replacement control off ebay although it has been working since I cleaned it so I haven't replaced it yet.
You may try to wiggle the button and see if that affects anything or get out the test light and start tracking wires you may have a loose wire or bad ground somewhere.
Good luck:action::action::action:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
imported post

Yeah Goldie, 99% chance it's your starter button.

You can pull that switch apart and clean the mechanism. With only 41k on the bike you probably won't have to fix the springs.

Warning: Lots of little parts if you actually have to disassemble the button.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys, finally found an owner's manual online and your thoughts make sense. "The starter button will disengage the headlight while starting the bike." That must be what's happening.

Now to figure out the LCD craziness!

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
imported post

Hi again Goldie,

I've never heard of one of those LCD panels fixing itself. Nor have I heard of anyone fixing a panel that has decided to be broken. And yours sounds like it has made that decision.

However, because the starter button seems to be crudded up with very low miles, maybe the same is true for the dash. There may be a wiring or connection glitch somewhere. Pop the unit out and look for crud or corrosion at the connections. Look through the wiring for the same. Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.