Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I went out to the GL1200 this morning, about 35 deg, and started it up. While I was allowing it to warm up a little, I noted the tachometer was not indicating.

My little brain immediately tried to determine why it was not registering, and thinking wiring problems or whatnot.

After a few minutes it seemed to "thaw" and slowly began registering, kinda like it had resistance to the needle moving.

A couple of minutes more, and it was normal. I commuted to my customer in Irvine, and it behaved properly for the whole trip.

Thoughts? Does it detest cold weather as much as I do?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

May just be cold blooded. I've had electric stuff be that way. I've not noticed my tach doing that, but it's been a while since I've ridden in that cold of weather. I usually wait until it warms up to 36 or so, before I ride.

If you're tach fails, I have a spare somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Maybe it's just telling you it's too cold, just doens't what to wake up and go !
I have had no problems on mine. Back home in the north we always went on a ride on New Years day, no matter what the temp. Coldest i remember was 17 deg. Bike never reached full operating temp. but tach worked fine.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

My 86-I started doing that 2-3 times a month on chilly November mornings a few years ago. I don't know if there is any dampening fluid in these tachs or not... :gunhead:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.