Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tail lights on my 84 Interstate stops working randomly. The indicators and brake lights are working, so are the tail lights when the key is turned to Park. But when the bike is running, the tail lights only works occasionally. When they don't work, the "Tail light" lamp in the dash is on.

I believe this problem is related to the tail light sensor, since the schematics indicates that this is bypassed when the key is turned to Park. But where can I find this sensor?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Remove the left side battery cover. To the right of the battery is the starter relay/solenoid. You'll find the taillight sensor behind (in back of) the relay. Black rectangular box. Nine pin plug. Seven wires.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I found it and it checked out OK :) Turns out that the ignition switch is bad. Another thing on my growing todo-list.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took a look under the upper triple today, and guess what? I have the old style ignition switch, the one that was recalled. Have sent a mail to my "local" Honda dealer, let's see what they say when someone asks for a free repair on their 29 year old motorcycle :)

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
If it was a recall item they should do it free.
Is there a time limit on how long you have to get a recall done?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
The parts manager at the dealership here told me that part is no longer available. I opted for a complete set out of an 87 Aspencade off of ebay. It was in excellent shape with keys.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If it was a recall item they should do it free.
Is there a time limit on how long you have to get a recall done?
It was/is a safety recall and as such has no time limit.

However as BigBro1 found Honda no longer has the replacement.

As Honda is obligated to fix it perhaps they'll give him a new GL1800. :ROFL::ROFL:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer hasn't replied yet. I'm not expecting a positive answer though. But luckily I think the switch can be fixed relatively easily. As soon as I apply a little bit of pressure on the bottom of the switch it works perfectly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a reply from the dealer this afternoon. He has never heard of this recall and won't even bother finding out if it's still active. Now I remember why I sold my Honda and bought a Suzuki in 2002 :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A small update. I found some time to fix the ignition switch recently, and found that it already had some sort of fix applied. A brace (looked factory to me) was added to stop the switch from separating from the lock. It worked fine too, but it didn't fix the real problem which was that the switch itself was falling apart :) I took it apart, cleaned all the parts, reassembled it and stopped the two halves from separating with a short 3mm machine screw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.