Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Did you put the fuel filter in the right way, it's one way?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
imported post

UPDATE: Couldn't make it run right, I am getting strong fire to all the plugs but number two cylinder just isn't running. Plug sooted up and smells of raw gas, so I took the carbs off again.

There is a mark on the float bowl of the number 2 carb that may be something, but I can't figure out how the float could touch the side of the bowl at that spot.

Is there anything else that could make a cylinder run real rich like that? Wouldn't a plugged jet make it run lean?

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,305 Posts
imported post

Not very familiar with 1200 carbs but check the enrichment valve to make sure it is closing and sealing off.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
imported post

What is the enrichment valve? Is that also known as the float valve? I really don't have the stuff to test those.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
What is the enrichment valve? Is that also known as the float valve? I really don't have the stuff to test those.
The enrichment valve is the motorcycle equivalent of a choke.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Dennis- If you remember all my problems where with #2 also.

Jim

·
Administrator
26,305 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Look on the side of each carb as you pull the "choke" there is a little plunger that moves out as you pull the "choke" and back in as you let it close. If the one is sticking open that could be your problem.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

check the sparkplugwires for proper placement

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Sorry can't help:praying:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

OK, it's running again. As well as before anyway. Still have the very irritating and irreparable 'off-idle out of sync' problem but it's running on all four again.

I took the carbs off last night and then got some rest before looking at them. WITH READING GLASSES. I found a tiny black something, stuckin the number 2 float needle seat. It required a 5# sledge and cold chisel to remove, but I got it out of there. OK, just some carb cleaner and a Q-Tip. I liked the story better the other way though.

Anyway I wondered how the filter screen fell off the seat and allowed that morsel to pass. I put it back on and it fell off again. After checking, they were all loose. Luckily, Ride&Slide Jim had sent me some of his old parts, and his screens fit snugly, as they should.

Just because it didn't seem like that microscopic black bit could be making the bike run so badly I pulled and cleaned all the jets too. I didn't find any that were obviousy gunked up though. Anyway it's running now, so I can finish cleaning it up and get it back on the road. This has been a struggle.

And Jim...Thank you. What I needed, when I needed it.

To everybody else with all the help and suggestions. Thank you as well. I don't acknowledge all the replies, but believe me, I read and check every single suggestion.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I found a tiny black something, stuckin the number 2 float needle seat. It required a 5# sledge and cold chisel to remove, but I got it out of there. OK, just some carb cleaner and a Q-Tip. I liked the story better the other way though.
That little black something was probably a piece of the inner lining of your fuel lines.
It could be old deteriorating lines or the inside has been cut by repeated removal from the barb fittings.

Hopefully there aren't other tiny pieces hiding in the carburetor jets but then again it may explain the problems you've been having.:shock:

BTW: Did you ever unglue the diaphragms to see if the vacuum passages are full of glue?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Great !!!! Glad your getting somewhere.:congrats::congrats:

My idle jet in # 2 was clogged. but i also pulled and cleaned all the jets,valves,seats and screens.Runs great now and just checked my mileage on a long haul on I95 at a steady 65 mpg, checked out at 47 mpg.

Jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
imported post

Ken,

No, I never got the diaphragms out. That is some serious glue. I think anything strong enough to cut the glue will damage the diaphragms.

I asked the guy what he used and he said "o-ring glue". :stumped:

As far as that little black something. It could have been anything, but I think it may have been there for awhile. It was stuck pretty good.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Dennis:

You said the old carburetors were good other than worn throttle shafts right?
So do what you have to do to get the diaphragms out of the new carburetors then clean all the glue out and put in the diaphragms from the old carburetors.

Or you could make Bike into a garage ornament.:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Wonder how much it would cost to Bronze a 1200 Goldwing ????

Just kidding Dennis ! :needahug:

Jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
imported post

Well, It is running and put back together. After game 7, I will take it for a short ride and put some gas in it.

As always, it looks spectacular after these tear downs. Cleaning all the nooks & crannies that one does notsee, miraculously makes what you do see look so much cleaner.

Sunday or Monday, I'll take it out for a two or three day ride and get it dirty again. :action:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Have a good ride ! I'll be at work. :sadguy::sadguy::sadguy:

Jim

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
imported post

Took it out for gas and barely made it home. The clutch master was very low on fluid. I haven't noticed any leaks so I suspect I'll need a slave cylinder gasket real soon. That looks like it will be a job.

Took it for a longer ride today and the carbs went way out of sync. Some day I would sure like to figure out why they won't stay synced. This has been going on for 20 years.I thought when I gotthe new carbs...

Anyway, otherwise, all is good.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
imported post

danny1961 wrote:
Could you please send me that part number? I am having the same problem with my bike.
What part number do you need, Danny?

And, welcome to the forum.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.