Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So we have an 86 Aspy with 74K or so on the dial, runs real good but has always had a tiny hesitation from idle but has been getting better.

recently I noticed the bike began running better, it had very pleasing power, I would roll the throttle at 65 and it would answer with quite the authority

but I also noticed I had lost some MPG :?

fast forward a little and I had to pull onto the highway from a stop and ran the RPMs up to around 5K, most I have ever pushed it for just a moment, and then the bike acted weird, I think I blew some trash loose or something because it straightened

out before I got home

now fast forward to 2 days ago, I'm heading to work and running about 70, I let off the throttle and when it hit about 26K I heard a rattle like a valve rattling, following the RPM drop then it would stop

I would here it just off idle during accel then it would go away untill I let off again

got to work and let it sit at an idle and I could hear it rattling in the left valve cover

it is irratic, not steady, I can blip the throttle gently and it will effect it but as I raise the throttle it goes away

next symtom is I now have a almost vibration as I accel just off idle when riding and sometimes I can hear it rattle and sometime not

what are the thoughts or recomendations to check

can I just adjust the valves or is there more to it than that

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

If it were mine I'd pull the valve covers and inspect it throughly for broken parts and signs of lost lubrication. Also check the valve adjustment.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

That sounds like a blocked valve lifter passage. Flush out the engine before getting in too deep.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

you think just some good ole seafoam would work ok
I guess I should go pick up a oil filter or 2 and do a good flush.
I have just recently done an oil change

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I don't think the valves on the 1200 are adjustable. I would put some sea foam in the crank case and fuel tank and ride it like you stole it. Check the gap on the plugs along with the color. tan is what you are looking for. gap them at the minimum (according to the experts here). did you change the oil weight? How long have you had the bike and do you know any of the history?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

Before you do anything, take the valve cover off and look fora problem. It's probably nothing but if something did break, no amount of Sea-Foam will help.

Never had the bike past 5000rpm? In my opinion, that's abusive. It's a motorcycle! Ride it accordingly.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

I agree with "Bike", Dennis will tell you to check the rear brake switch. It does sound as if it may be a sticky lifter, if so, the "seafoam" as already stated. I have had that issue, with a LTD

Ben

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Soundds like something sticking in the hydraulic ajuster. Possibly you have loosened up some of the carbon that has built up from driving it like the perverbiale little old lady.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

hahaha honestly I don't need to run it past 38K RPM as it has plenty of power
OK I have had the bike for about 6 years
only history I know is what I have done, timing belts about 3K ago , oil changes usualy less then every 3K, I just replaced the plugs the week before this happened and changed the oil. I am running Delvac elite 15 40
I was running Rottela 15 40 but wanted to try the delvac

you may be on to something about the lifter as it sort of comes and goes
Oh and I already checked the brake light switch, it was fine :smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I also agree with Dennis, i woild pull the valve cover and take a look first.As far as the 5,000 rpm thing, you have power up there you have never tapped into ! :badgrin::badgrin

Jim

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

OK so now you have peaked my intrest, what is considered red line for the 1200, I guess I just never thought to ask before and as I was happy with the power it has never needed to ask. But now I'm curious
I will pull the cover this weekend and take a peak, then if all looks good I will do the flush and oil change
got to go by the stealer and get a filter anyway

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

on my 1000 and 1100's the red line is 7000mmand I run them there once in a while to clean out the carbon. 4500 and above is where the powerband starts
Wilf

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
on my 1000 and 1100's the red line is 7000mmand I run them there once in a while to clean out the carbon. 4500 and above is where the powerband starts
Wilf
Redline on the 1200 is 7500 rpm. The 1000 and 1100 redline is 8500 rpm. My 1000 hits redline every chance she gets. She can't seem to help herself and I just can't seem to control her. ;)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

I've only had my 1200 for 2 ruding seasons and was just "learning" how to ride last simmer so I have never really run the RPM's up there. I have read on several forums that the "redline" for a 1200 is at about 7500 RPMs but I don't think I have ever hit that range before. So, the point of my ramblings is:...from what I have just read from a couple of you, I SHOULD run it up occasionally!!?? Correct?? If so, and the weather breaks today, I think I'll go out to the highway and "blow the cobs out of her" as we used to say out in farm country.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Wow 7500,,, I knew I wasn't pushing it too high but I really didn't know I had that much left on the table
interesting to say the least

Thanks for the info, now I just have to solve my rattle problem

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

I get the same thing occassionally from my '84 Aspencade. Doubtful that anything is "broken" but pulling the valve cover would be a good idea anyhow. Most likely the hydaulic lashadjuster (which is what the 1200 has instead of manual adjustment) collapses due to a loss of pressure or prime. Most frequently happens to mine after changing the oil because it's the motor oil that charges those hydraulic lash adjusters with pressure. After a few miles, that "bbuuuuuurrrrrrppppp" from inside the valve cover disappears.So it is significant that you mention you just changed the oil. Ride her a while and see if that sound goes away. I'll still get it sometimes, but it's been over 25,000 miles and nothing has fallen apart yet.

I'm not a big believer in Seafoam being the cure all for the ills that may haunt your Goldwing. Sure, it's good stuff and I use it now and then. But to consider it as a "fix" for almost any issue in the crankcase or fuel system is folly IMO. Better to diagnose the problem first to dismiss the possibility that it could be something that requires attention.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Here is my best desciption of the sound, when accel it's very difficult to hear unless your sitting at idle and gently bump the throttle, you sort of feel it more than hear it
but when, and I mean when as it doesn't do it constant, make the noise while decelling it sound like cards in the spokes of a bycycle when slowing down then stops as suddenly as it starts
I think I will start by dropping the oil today and just changing the oil itself back to the Rottela and see if it goes away, if not I will pull the valve cover and inspect
if nothing is found I will flush with something, seafoam or the like and change oil and filter
I'll get back when I find the culprit
and Thanks for all the suggestions and comments thus far

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.