Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK so I was given this bike and it will not start it will turn over just fine and it has a brand new battery, it was sitting for a couple of months, and I am sure the gas is good . Like I said I have never owned a goldwing so it is new to me I am use to sport bikes. I have a 1984 GL1200 interstate. Also does anyone have directions on how to remove everything on the bike haha. Any help is welcome, and I have thick skin so if you call me a retard that is ok as long as it helps haha THANKS!!!!

BUCK

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hey Buck
I take it by your request for info on removing stuff you don't have a repair manual. That's a first item to get, most invaluable.
Could be as simple as a clogged gas filter, or air filter, a fuel pump not working, to clogged jets in the carbs. Gas setting in the carbs, especially the gas we get now laced with ethanol, gels up in short order. The ethanol attracts water from the ambient air.
It could be lack of spark. Did you get any info on it from the previous owner as to why it isn't running or was left to sit? Did you get any maintenance receipts or log of whats been done and when? Going to need to do some testing and checking.
The gas filter you can use a Napa #3011 @$5, or equivalent from a auto parts store, good place to start. Next pull the fuel line from the carbs, put it into & hold in a gas can, turn on the key and make sure it pumps gas. Then let us know what you find.

Here are a few how to dos as a start.
The first will show how to remove items to get to the motor. Air filter is below the false tank shroud, forward of the gas filler door.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1200timingbelts.htm

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/bikersworkshopmenu.htm

http://gl1200goldwings.com/tech_center.php

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Man you hit it right now the head I need a repair manual I need to find a place to download it because i did not want to start trying to take things off the bike and break something. It was stored inside so it was not in the weather that is a plus. The only thing that came with it was the paper work to change the bike over to me. The guy who gave it to me just got a HD bike and he asked if I wanted it, I think that was awesome it is not everyday someone is that nice in this world haha. Thanks for the links. I will keep updates on what I find out

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

buckjflowers wrote:
Man you hit it right now the head I need a repair manual I need to find a place to download it because i did not want to start trying to take things off the bike and break something.
Please don't resort to theft, legal printed manuals are not that expensive.
For the starting issue, have you checked the kill switch? Many people me included have killed batteries or kicked our right leg into a quivering mass of jello from a kill switch off or even slightly off centre.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum ........Kill Switch yep done that, ya feel stupid...Real stupid ha ha:waving:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the world's greatest website.

Did she give any indciation at all of trying to fire or just crank away?

If you've never owned a Honda before, each one has it's own quirks for starting. Most of mine have wanted all the choke and no throttle to start and usually for a minute after. Only then can you ease the choke open and slowly open the throttle for another minute or two.

Someone posted yesterday that his 1200 would only start with no choke but then had to quickly close the choke to keep it running.

You might also find that after fiddling with it, you have flooded it. If you know that's the case and it will otherwise run, you can fully open the choke and the throttleand crank until she trys to sputter and fire. In yourcase you should go straight to pulling the plugs and dry them off. Also, keep acharger on that battery. The 1500 is worse but even the 1200 responds better to a full charge.

My only complaint on Honda is, like Dodge, they are very cold blooded.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

First let me say Congratulations on becoming a Winger! Your benefactor is now the one with the larger issue, being a HD owner.

I'm relatively new to GW ownership myself but understand that on my 85 LTD I have a secondary dog bone fuse which if bad, will allow the bike to crank but not start. I don't know if your bike has a similar setup but one of the more knowledgeable guys on here could verify or correct my comment.

Good Luck. You've got a great bike and once corrected, you'll have something to be proud to ride down the road.

Ted

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

First thing I would check is the kill switch as Ken and Tedmass have mentioned. Second is condition of plugs and check for spark.
Either way you should also plan on pulling false gas tank in the near future. You may need to do this to solve the running problem but also a good idea to have a loo at the air filter of any bike that has sat. Mice love to get into them.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
imported post

I thought that I was the oly one to forget to check the kill switch. My brother walked about 2 miles when he was riding my Honda ATV because he somehow hit the kill switch. It cranked over but no fire. I have done it with the 1200 and a CB900C. Very embarrassing.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

what year is your interstate

welcome to the site from mid md/pa area

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I remember painstakingly changing my timing belts and listening to every word I read at least 50 or 60 times........ The one thing that stuck in my head was check the timing marks, when done.... check the timing marks. I checked them every step of the way..... a dozen times, dead on each time.

When I was all done, everything back in place and buttoned up, went to crank her....... NOTHING...... just turned over.... no start.....

tore everything back apart and looked at it again, double checking everything as it went back together. Hit the key...... just turned over........ I sat there going over everything in my head for about a half hour....... looked at the kill switch and it was off.............:headbanger:

Turned the kill switch and she started right up...... sure felt stupid.....

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks Klwatts, And just for the record I tried to start it and then saw the kill switch and wanted to bang my head on the gas tank. Then I tried ti again and still the same so I did not feel so bad haha. And thanks for all of the reply's you guys are awesome. So an update I took off the air filter gave it a shot of starter fluid to see if maybe it was gas but that did not work. So I put a spark plug on the end of my wire and tried to start it and there was no spark at all, I think I could of licked it like a 9v battery and it would not not shocked me haha. So that is where I am sitting at now

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I saw a video of an old guy who did that with the plug wire of a running car, put it to his tongue. He also did it with reg 110 with a light bulb in series and a table radio. He said that was how he tested everything! :?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Yea no spark with any plugs at all

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Do the 1200 coils have the resistor at the base of the coils like the 83 1100?

I had one of the wires broken where it went into the resistor and the bike wouldn't run. Swapped it out with another and VVVRRRRROOOOOOMMMMMMM

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I have no clue if the 1200 have that I am not sure what that is

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

opps finally saw in your post its an 84 interstate

these have an inherent problem with the ignition switch,dont have any 84 schematics of the ignition circuit but if you pm me an email address i can send you a file from an 85 interstate that may help

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

Switch is possible, as is a crudded up connector or a dead pulse generator. We could make guesses all day and night, but you will need to do the drill in the electrical trouble shooting section. Have you gotten a manual yet?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.