Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1985 LE, nothing beyond half throttle in any gear.

Clean air filter, runs and idles smooth

Horrible fuel mileage (maybe 10mpg)

At idle smells like it's running a little rich.

Top speed is just under 70mph

Just bought it this past weekend. Has been sitting about a year.

Ran one tank of fuel with fuel cleaner, on 3rd tank of fresh fuel now.

Any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Do you have terrible acceleration? Check your sliders on your carbs(underneath the chrome caps). They may be stuck or ripped or both. They need to move freely and seal at the top with no rips or holes in the rubber. Sounds like a carb issue for sure. I had 3 ripped ones. It would idle fine but had no power and max was about 70 or so. She'll do over 100 ez now after I repaired those. Unfortunately, I have a knock in my lower part of the motor that I'm gonna live with till she croaks. Hope yours is an ez fix.

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

It appears he has an LTD, NO CARBS, it is fuel injected. The LTD has a engine conrtol module under the seat with LEDs that blink to indicate trouble codes. The manual explains this much better than I can. Investigate that first then get back to us.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The LED's under the trunk, come one with ignition then go away. Have the false tank and seat off, do not see anything else with LED's.
Am I not looking right place?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

As Dave said, check the CFI computer under the trunk on the left side for any codes, you're gonna need a manual to interpret the LED's or report what you see here and we'll check for ya..

What I think might have happened is you've got some sticky injectors due to setting for that year. You might want to pull the plug wires one by one to see if you've got a miss. I had sticky injectors on mine when I first got her running. They finally freed up after about the 5th or 6th tank of gas and she's ran great since..

Let us know what you find out...

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Ronniels,

I am going to say it before anyone else does...

SEAFOAM!

In an issue like this, go heavy with this stuff (1/2 can + to the tank) and run SEVERAL tanks of fuel through it in heavy concentration. You can't hurt anything with this stuff. It's a great product.

You may want to even have just the Seafoam put directly into the fuel injection system until it really starts to smoke and shut the bike off. Leave it for a few hours or even overnight and then go for a drive with a high concentration of it in your tank.

Instructions are on the can. Seafoam is highly spoken of around here.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Love Seafoam...had lots of success on cars.
What's the best way to get it straight in to the FI system?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi,

I don't know exactly how the FI system and fuel pump is on the 1200's. I haven't worked on any of the 1200 FI bikes.

But basically, if the fuel pump is external, I would shut off the petcock on the tank and remove the fuel line to pump and add an new length to have it draw directly from the Seafoam can.

Also, after all these rounds of Seafoam, don't forget to replace your fuel filter.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

you might try checking the temp sensor on top of the air cleaner and the tps voltage at idle,check the fuel pump inlet strainer too

also possible the plugs may need replacement too,check the ngk caps also

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Update, pulled fuel level float (Fuel Gauge Works Perfect)...FUEL light was staying on, I assume that it means LOW FUEL...So I pulled the float assembly, on the bottom there is a metal tube with several screened holes. So I cleaned those with spray carb cleaner, re-installed. Now Low Fuel Light is of...But...now thr "Fuel System" light is on.

CODES-- (off)(flash)(flash)(on)
Those are the 4 bulbs under the trunk

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Where is the TPS? And fuel pump?
I ordered new plugs, wires and NGK resistors this morning.
Has new plugs in it, but they put a 7 instead of the stock 8 on the NGK #
Last set of plugs are in the saddle bag, they are original #'s and look very clean.
P.O. changed plugs and oil before I picked it up. But do not know why he used a different plug.

7 is the Cold Weather plug...I live in FL, so does he, but was from Michigan...so that ? is solved

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i'd go and purchase a new set of correct plugs and install,no sense putting old plugs in,since they could be bad regardless of how they look

fuel pump is one right side underneath a chrome cover near the foot peg

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

There are 5 lights on the ecu under the trunk, and the bracket covers part of them, loosen the bracket and slide the ecu forward, it is easier with the trunk off and the lights read right to left, based on what you are indicating on the lights, that is the throttle sensor, but until you can be certain that is all of the lights, I wouldn't do anything else until you are certain that's all of the lights, and if that bike has been sitting a while, start cleaning connectors with electronic cleaner.:waving:

Look at the vacuum hoses in front of the air box on the PBL/PBR sensors, they have a tendance to dryrot, and are one of the fuel related issues other than the throttle sensor.

Ben

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

When the fuel system light is on you defintely have lights on the ecu, and probably won't start either. Look back at the wiring that you messed with on the sending unit, and in that area. Dirty or loose connectors on this :smiler:bike will give all sorts of gremlins

Ben

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Have been cleanign and checking connections for a couple of days, added an extra ground from battery to frame...(Was needed on my VTX due to a Honda issue...so did it to the Wing just to be safe)
With "Fuel System" light on, still statrts and runs...but that issue is gone...Seafoam pulled a Chuck Norris on it..
Hopped on the Wing, ran down to Auto Zone, bought some Seafoam and Brake fluid (going to flush brakes on both bikes next week)...anyway, light was on going to the store. I have 1/2 tank of fuel, pour in 3/4 bottle of Seafoam. Close the bottle, put away in saddle bag. Replace fuel cap, turn to "On" and no Fuel lights at all...ddin't even have to run the bike...Seafoam satrted working already! (Yes, I know it was a coincidence)
Anyway, got about 2 miles from AZ and odometer quit. Oh well, still have Trip and Speedo. Go about 20 miles, feels good, fuel gauge didn't move, not drinking it like it has been this week. Removed cap to confirm fuel level was accurate.

And...the radio buttons on hand grip started working...havn't worked since I bought the bike!

This is a non-important issue, but when I picked the bike up, the owner was concerned about no radio. He said it worked fine when parked. I didn't care, bike started quickly and ideled smoothly.
So everything on radio and CB both work except no sound from speakers...hmmm...

Anyway, heading to Biketober this weekend. So the GW will be parked from tmrw afternoon until Sunday eve....

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

There is a frame ground underneath the coolant resevoir, and on the voltage regulator/rectifier, and the battery ground wire on the engine support. Sounds like seafoam is doing the trick, along with your connector cleaning:applause:

Ben

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

There is a frame ground underneath the coolant resevoir, and on the voltage regulator/rectifier, and the battery ground wire on the engine support. Sounds like seafoam is doing the trick, along with your connector cleaning:applause:

Ben

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.