Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, I apologise in advance if this topic has been well covered before, but if there is interest, I have just installed 1157 (BAY15d) SMDlamps to my '84 Interstate, and now with less load at the rear of the bike (no....not the wife..!!)allows me to install my 100/65w lamp up front without any "dimming" of the light when braking.
It does involve removing the "bulb out" feature on the dash tho, and "modification" of the rear light sensor unit.
The green/yellow (brake) and the brown (rear) wires need to be removed and soldered together, and the white/yellow (front panel "bulb out" indicator) disconnected, as per image.
Also, it seems it is necessary to install both (or all four if rear lightbar is installed on the trunk) LED bulbs, as they are not happy working alongside standard incandescent bulbs (don't know why you would anyway, but I found out during testing)
I am sure there are more suitable bulbs to use as a replacement, but the white ones I currently have seem to be reasonably close to the originals without looking "orange" thru the lens.
I hope this will be of some help to someone....very happy with the result.
Cheers.:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the picture of the light sensor wiring, that was one of the things that I could not understand, seeing the picture, is worth a thousand words.

Appreciate the help, I know what Im doing tomorrow.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

Seems like those won't be a bright as normal bulbs, because most of the light points sideways.

Maybe that's not an issue for some.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi jobe05, good to know thank you, would you mind posting an image of the end result?.....
Bike...and Dennis, yup, you are probably right, but what I am trying to achieve here is more light "up front" on a "somewhat restricted" availability of wattage, to try and keep "cagers" from the "oh...I didn't see him" syndrome.
Having said that, the tail light output (with the bulbs I have) is more noticeable than the incandescent ones, sadly tho the brake lights are a little (only a little tho)less noticeable, but as having four at the back is really not an issue for me, although I am tempted to put a strip of LED's somewhere just as an extra.
Have other members got better ideas?...different and better bulbs to use etc?..
Many thanks..

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

yes i do have a better idea, keep the regular bulbs, and install a H.I.D. Xenon bulb on front.

it draws 35 watts, or 55 Watts if you get the bigger kit and even the 35 watt kit will give you more light than a 100 watt halogen bulb. without adding too much stress to the stock wiring, remember the wiring and switches involved were not built to handle 100 watts (starter button, high/low, relay box).
i have seen melted wires and connectors with the stock bulb that tell me what will happen with your 100 watt bulb.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Seems like those won't be a bright as normal bulbs, because most of the light points sideways.

Maybe that's not an issue for some.
You must have a very special bike Dennis as all the GL1200's I've seen have the tail/brake and rear signal light bulbs mounted sideways.:shock:

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Yup "fair call" (as we would say here)William_86,(re: HID lights), will investigate HID possibility,..we are a bit slow here sadly on regulation, and suspect that if it was not a "factory" or "manufacturers" install..(clearly it is a 1984 bike!) then it would be considered illegal, however useful and life saving it may be..!! Thank you tho, will look into that...
Cheers...

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

I Was not aware of your location. there are very cheap kits on ebay that are shipped from china. just buy a kit for cars and you will have a spare. about law and regulations. if you install it correctly and get a white color bulb instead of the "off road use only" blue, pink or green tinted bulbs no one will notice.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks William_86, will take a look..!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.