Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all.
Still working on finishing up my 84 GL1200A. Got it up and going and now I am trying to solve the tail lights not working dilemma. Everything else is fine, headlight, high low beam, turn sigs work, brake light works. But, no tail lights or running lights.
Anybody know if there is a notorious electrical gremlin in this old wing that would cause
the problem. I have disconnected the connectors to all the tail and running lights but when I put in a new fuse and turn on the key, fuse blows immediately. I am using a circuit breaker during my diagnostics.
According to the wiring diagram, there is a lot of stuff running off that one circuit.
So, I guess my question is, could there be something that is a common failure on the old
wings and one of you folks has been there and done that?
The wire coming off the fuse block is brown/blue and somewhere in the maze it turns into a brown/white. I remember my old 76 moldwing had wiring issues and it was in the headlight bucket. I can see there is a large collection of wiring behind the headlight.

Any clues would help.

Thanks
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Are you running just the stock tail lights or has someone added a light bar? If they spliced the bar into the tail light wire, it's likely too much draw on the fuse (at least that's the way mine was done).

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

I pulled my lightbar as soon as I bought the bike. It pulls too much power for that bike. Not so much to blow a fuse everytime though. The lightbar probably has a short in it somewhere. Pull it, tape off the wires to it and see if you blow anymore fuses.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Also, all your lights are run from the fuse block above your aircleaner. (Mine all do except the emergency flashers)

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I'm inclined to agree with the above replies. I had an 85 Aspy with all the bells and whistles and the lights to boot. I NEVER had a problem burning fuses. I did replace the dog bone with a modern style thirty amp blade fuse. If it continues popping fuses it would be a short. If extra lights were added I'd start there.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

My Bikes, present and past

Previous bikes

1967 Honda Dream 160 My Son used to borrow this one while I was at work.
1974 Honda CB 550/4 Complete restoration. Sold this to a young lady.
1978 Honda CB 750 Custom
1976 Honda GL1000 First date with my current wife on this one.
1979 Honda CX 500
1985 Honda Rebel 250 (Wife)
1985 Honda VF1100S (wife said, "your gonna get killed on that thing".) Sold it.
1985 VT500 Shadow (Wife)
1984 GL1200A My current ride.

I do not have any extra electrical stuff on this GL1200.
This bike was a fixer when I got it back in May. The fuse was blown back then. I have since repaired several wiring issues in the rear when I put it all back together. It was a total teardown.
Pretty much done now except a lean condition in one of the carbs and this electrical problem

Thanks All
Ron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Its the ignition switch. I think there was a recall on 84 ignitions switches. Check the circuit from the base of the switch.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

A fuse blowing instantly indicates a dead short either to ground or a grounded wire.
I don't have an 84wiring manual but hard for me to see how the ignition switch would be at fault. If it blows fuse after key is turned then short is downstream of the key and fuse. I don't believe he is talking about the main fuse. Once the fuse blows the short no longer exists. Is the seat and shelter removed?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yep. It's pretty well stripped. Headlight is out and all the wiring is exposed. Plastic is off, seat is off. According to the diagram, the power out of the fuse block is a brown/blue
wire that goes into two different splices and becomes a brown /white wire on both legs. One leg of which does go to the ignition switch.
Anything is possible at this point. I will pull it tomorrow and see what I can find. The other leg goes through the turn signal switch and runs the front running lights and also goes to the turn signal cancel switch. Anyone know where that is?
Could it be that little electromagnet in the turn signal switch? If not, what the heck it that? I am going to give this project another couple of days and then put it all back together and just ride it during the day before I run out of summer.

Thanks all.
Ron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I will check out the switch.
Here is what shows up on Honda recalls.
Wonder if they will still do it after all this time.

Motorcycle Affected
1984 HONDA GL1200

Summary
SWITCH COVER WHICH PROVIDES FOR A GOOD WIRE CONNECTION COULD BECOME LOOSE AND POSSIBLY CAUSE LOSS OF ALL ELECTRICAL FUNCTIONS.

Consequence

Remedy
THE IGNITION SWITCH WIRING HARNESS WILL BE REPLACED ALONG WITH THE SWITCH COVER. THE COVER IS INSTALLED TO ENSURE PROPER WIRE CONNECTION.

Potential Motorcycles Affected

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.