Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I"ve fixed nost of all my problems on my wing, wiring mostly, but have put about 6000 miles on it ,and notice when I take off from a stop I notice a slight bang in the rear end , and sometimes when I shift to second. With the bike on center stand, all I feelis a little play.

·
Administrator
27,796 Posts
imported post

Probably some wear on the drive splines in the rear wheel. Remove the rear wheel and inspect the splines and lube them with 60% moly paste if they are not really bad worn they will be OK.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,279 Posts
imported post

I don't know what they call it, but there's a rubber piece with 5bolts going through it. Look on a fische. I'm thinking it's about time for that rubber to be drying up and getting hard on the twelves. On mine, the bolts themselves were worn out and made a clunk when taking off. As Dave says, a teardown and inspection is in order. Check the wheel bearings carefully too.

Sometimes all it takes is cleaning and reassembly.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

thanks I'll take a look at it soon. stay between the barrow pits Arlin

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I took the rear wheel off the Gold Wing and found the splines on the wheel were worn quite a bit. I took the hub piece out of the wheel and put it in the rear differential and I could feel a lot of play. It didn't seem that the splines on the diff were worn as much. I suspect the bang in the rear end are the splines. What do you suggest I do now? Arlin

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Yep, sounds like splines to me. Very common, it seems most people ignore the splines at tire changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.