Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello!

We have a really great looking '85 GL1200 out here that belonged to an older fellow who no longer can ride.

The bike was going through batteries on a regular basis, it wasn't rode very often, and during a conversation with the Deka Battery dealer who warrantied one of the batteries that "went bad" in the bike he stated the battery had been charged backwards...

There was a portion of a "Battery Buddy" left on the bike when we got it, not connected any longer, and just a guess this may have been the culprit thinking the bikes owner may have accidentally charged the battery over the winter backwards.

Anyway, I put a new battery in the bike and it started fine, and I was tickled all over, but then.....

The next day I was getting ready to get the clutch working, and replace the brakes and she wouldn't start?

No spark on any of the plugs, and today, just tinkering around I found 354 ohms on one PG, yellow and yellow/whiteand 2.320 MOHM's blue and blue/whiteon the other.

The coils are getting voltage, I'm not sure how to check for a pulse on the other side with my Fluke Meter, or if its possible.

Is there a method to testing the ICU? Would one PG being bad keep the system from firing at all?

I left the battery on the bike over that one night, we did notice something different, and I have never owned a bike this new,(we ride a '79 CBX, and a '75 CB750 that are our newest bikes)but when connecting the battery there was a small spark as if the bike was turned on, but nothing was?

I sure could use a suggestion or two, and we sure would greatly appreciate it! I can't wait to take this rascal around the country just a bit!

Thanks in Advance! Terry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Terry!:waving::waving:

Sounds like you need a new PG. 2M ohms is pretty well open. As for the spark hooking up the battery you may have a problem there. Check the current out of the battery with a MA meter, should be on the order of 25mA, the radio and clock have a keep alive circuit to hold the time and station presets when the key is off. If you have much more than that it's possible there might be a damaged regulator diode from having a reverse polarity applied to it.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for The Info! And Thanks for the Warm Welcome! :waving:

Would one of the pulse generators failurecause a loss of spark in the entire unit, or no spark in the other side either?

I'll check thecurrent draw as the bike is in the off position. I had the rectifier unhooked and the small arc was still there..

Thanks again!

Terry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't think a failure of one would shut down both coils. I hate to ask but the kill switch is on?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Great Question....

Yes its on, I believe its operating fine since I'm seeing voltage at the coils...

Is there any hidden switches, or safety devices I should look for? I have squeezed the clutch, wiggled my nose, the whole deal...:baffled: But I wasn't sure if there was something hidden that might keep the spark from igniting? Its very strange to me how it ran so well one day, and she was a dead beat the next. I was working on the clutch last thing.

Instead of starting it to see if the clutch was disengaging, I held the clutch in with the bike in the off position, in gearand bumped the starter. The clutch wasn't working by the way.

Thanks, Terry

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
imported post

Mine did the same thing! Normal resisitance on one and very high to infinite on the other. If one goes bad while the bike is running it should stay running (so I've been told) until you shut it down, then a NO GO. BTDT.........they should ohm out the same, if not replace them. They are sold as a pair thru Honda. Mine cost 80-90 bucks Canadian.
Good time to check or replace the belts once you're in there. Goodluck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.