Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own two gl1200s, the exhaust on one is whisper quiet and stock. the other has an after market exhaust, it is not loud but you can hear it. i find on long trips the quiet bike is much more pleasant to ride. after a person listens to that exhaust noise hour after hour you get tired of it. something to think about before making a change to an exhaust. regards walkabout:smiler:

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Something many have found out after putting good money into a loud exhaust. Sounds good around town but annoying on a trip. I have aftermarket mufflers on my '84 which are a little louder than stock. I use gummy ear plugs instead of sponge to protect my hearing which is poor enough already.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

Are there any aftermarket systems that are as quiet as stock? All the ones I've seen or had are louder

Don

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

I may be the outcast, but I like my "loud" exhaust. I have ridden Harley's for may years, so a loud Wing is still quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

been there!!...done that!!...took me 2 years of combinations to find my perfect sound on my tricked out hd(weekend dirt bike on steroids!!)....when the wing pipes crap out...i might try something that might blow my skirt up... but also be be ready to go back to stock cause i like my quiet rides also....depends on my mood!! ...cheers!!

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

In my opinion loud exhaust ends up taking over your ride and making it all about the motorcycle......forgetting that's it's a team effort between the bike and myself. My old Harley's pipes were incredibly loud. While I always tried not to act like a jerk on it......at times I know I scared the crap out of a few old ladies as I flew by them on the freeway.

I believe the loud pipes on a Harley greatly contribute to bad behavior. I grow tired of hearing the infected explode by my bedroom window at 2:00am. You know.....the ones with a tee shirt that says F-you on the back? And a silly hand made non DOT scull cap with silly racial slur stickers all over it? The ones that don't give you a nod as you pass them in town? "that's not a Harley......so I will not nod at you"

There were only two advantage's to the pipes that I did notice on my '04 1200 Sportster. When I bought it new, she really could not breath. The bike gasped for air. That's the only way I can explain it. After a stage one upgrade that included the pipes the bike woke up and wow...... a completely different bike. I personally think the dumpster full of stock pipes in back of the dealership at Harley is no mistake.....and they don't come close to there potential without dropping 800.00 smackers to make them the retro-technology single crank pin vibrators that they should be.

And the second was the fact that my pipes used to be so loud that it was near impossible for those close not to know I was near them. And if I sensed they didn't I could simply bark at them to wake them up. But on that same note I couldn't hear a damned thing that was going around me either. LOL

:thumbsdown: Not a fan. Once I grew up I noticed it was.....annoying. (not that I don't give all riders a nod myself......)

RED

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

These are my Dekker pipes with pic's & sound. I can rev them up & still stand there & talk. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

i 2nd the overly loud pipes...mine are just perfect....i cant beleive some idiots(kids)with their straight pipes how much damage there doing to there hearing,brain and also waking up the neighborhood.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I have never put aftermarket pipes on any of the 40 some bikes I've owned, and I still wear earplugs on long trips. NOW. Just because I never put loud pipes on a bike doesn't mean I don't like loud pipes, especially on the right engine. Usually with motorcycles that engine is a Harley, or an engine with the same basic design as a Harley, single crankpin 45 degree v-twin. I love the sound of those with loud pipes. But just because I do doesn't mean everyone else does, and I would not ride a bike with loud pipes on the street. I am "not" an outlaw biker, and do not want to project that image. (though I have ridden with the Hells Angels, on a charity ride, and even met Sonny himself, he only lives a few miles away) But they are not my type.

I am also a drag racer with a small block Chevy, and I run it with open pipes. I have spent a lot of time around dragstrips, and love the noise. I always carry ear plugs though, being close to a 1000+ hp engine with open pipes at full throttle will blow your eardrums out.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
imported post

Itis my unwavering opinion that obnoxiouslyloud straightpipes don't save lives...

... they just pi55 people off.;)

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

+1 on keeping pipes quiet. Most of my rides are long rides and loud pipes are annoying.
P.S. You may have loud pipes and like the sound of them. If you ride with others, do the right thing and get to the back of the pack. Nothing is worse than owning a quiet bike and being forced to listen to someone else's racket mile after mile...

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
imported post

Why do cops allow most straight pipe bikes to go by but never a car with the same? My rights mean nothing I guess.

I hate it and know I can do nothing to change it. Except bitch about it when times like this come up.

Thanks I feel better.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I have owned 2Harleys, and the Sporty was just a little too loud on long trips, which were painful enough, anyway. I definitely do not miss the noise, and I never bought into that "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" nonsense because sound is directional, so really the only purpose besides giving a little more horsepower, but less torque, is to make noise to impress the owner and those who might be impressed by their noise. Believe me that the general public is not impressed, that is why they have so many restrictions on bikers now in different parts of the country. There is no longer rallies in Myrtle Beach anymore, and all the time, another community has banned the bikes or restricted the times they can ride because of the "Look at Me, I'm a Badass Boy, Watch me Rev!" bunch. I used to race cars, have built hot rods and have ridden bikes off road that would rattle your teeth, but on the road, I like it quiet and smooth.:waving::waving:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

My dad put it best yesterday when he told me that he saw a goldwing going down the road by his house and all he could hear from the bike was the road noise from the tires. He said "That's the way a bike should sound" I agree with him. I've ridden with bikes that have loud pipes for a few hours and after a while it got old. I love the way my bike sounds stock. there's nothing like the sound of a wing. :)

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

I have 2 1500's now one has a non stock exhaust. I will change it back to stock when I have the time and the parts. I don't like it loud but at least it is not as bad as the V-Twins.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

CrystalPistol wrote:
Itis my unwavering opinion that obnoxiouslyloud straightpipes don't save lives...

... they just pi55 people off.;)
Its not just your (and my) opinions, its a PROVEN FACT!!

Anyone that thinks any differently, please PM me as I have a bridge for sale!!

Bill

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,578 Posts
imported post

On my recent trip up to Washington, I noticed that at least 90% of the bikes I encountered on the road had loud (non-stock) pipes.

Oddly, on the return trip the percentage was lower, but not enough to give me hope. I don't understand why such machines are still allowed on the road.

The AMA makes noise like they are againstnoisy bikes but really aren't doing anything about it, and they poo-pooed Arnold when he passed laws in CA to try and curb the problem.

I have tried to talk to people with loud pipesand impress on them that we can lose our riding privileges over this. They are not listening. Maybe they just can't hear me.

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
imported post

flw wrote:
Why do cops allow most straight pipe bikes to go by but never a car with the same? My rights mean nothing I guess.

I hate it and know I can do nothing to change it. Except bitch about it when times like this come up.

Thanks I feel better.
:?
In Va. we have several code sections that govern cars and pickups and TTs, etc. Onespecificaly prohibits straight pipes or exhaust cutouts and exghaust whistles. Another requires that mufflers comparable to OEM andoutlaws chambered pipes.

There is one code section only that applies to motorcycles and it simply requires mufflers or baffles with no standards.

Late model FI Harleys almost have to have some baffling, they won't hardly run without them. They are still loud, but the baffles are there in AM pipes that appear straight, just up near the head sometimes. Older carbed Harleys and VTXs and Shadows, and etc .... will often be found with straight pipes, I carried a "baffle checker" which I often usedand I wrote a bunch of them over the years.

To be fair, also wrote afew cars, a wholebunch of pickups, and more TTs than you can shake a stick at for straight pipes or inadequate muffling devices as well.

I often found it odd .... right manyTT drivers andsome even driving PUs often claimed to believe their vehicle's exhaust was legal with straight pipes ...never heard that from those driving "cars" except in the early years and some Tenn drivers made the claim. I think Tenn was pretty lax in the late '70s-'80s? Sometimes even a HD or other rider with straight pipes claimed surprise that such was in violation ... as well as that $9.95 unlined and none approved plasticbrain bucket.

Get this ... many TT drivers even claimed that the "turbo" sufficed as a "muffler".... such kidders they can be. Didn't ever see anyone there keeping score though ... well, except maybeforthose who read my weeklyreports that is.

Maybe it helps you feel a little better?

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

When I leave the house at 4 in the morning, I truly believe that my sleeping neighbors appreciate the quiet.

On the other hand, The HD guy down the block must feel it is his obligation to wake me by cracking the throttle wide when passing my house.

I just smile when I see his ride coming home on a flat bed, again.:ROFL:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.