Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My new to me 86 GL1200 is still not running right. I bought it 200mi ago. The first 150 were fine. THen I started to have problems with loss of power. I have limited my rides to within 10 to 20mi of the house, and for good reason. My last postwas diagnosed as a fuel caproblem. When I started to loose power, I stopped, popped of the cap, and then it was fine again for 10+ miles.Monday while on a ride, it did it again.This time, the cap trick did nothing. It ran at 1/2 powerfor another 3-4 mi, then lost all power. I pulled over and made a call home, and about 2-3 min later, it started and I drove home, but still with very low power.

Once home, I checked the fuel pump. It was getting voltage, I pulled the lineto the carbs, but did not pump. If I would remove and remake the power to the pump, I would get 2 or 3 pump cycles, even with the outlput ine line removed, but did not get any flow, other than whatgravity provided out of the tank.

Tongiht, I installed a new pump. The pump runs for 3-4 seconds after the key is turned on until pressure is in the carb side and stops. If you work the throttle, it will cycle on and off. Great I thought, so I went for a ride. I still only have 1/2 power (or less) so I only went 2-3 blocks and came back home.

While the bike was still hot, I wet my finger and touched the exhaust on each cylinder. The two forward cylinders (towards the radiator and front of the bike) sizzled the spit on my finger.The two back cylinders were warm, but not enough to sizzle spit. It starts and runs just fine at idle, and some times when trying to accellerate with full throttle, it will take off like a rocket for 3-4 seconds, and then bogs down again.

So, my question is, what to do next? Do you think it is no spark on the two back cylinders or no gas flowingthrough to the two back carbs?

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes, I put a new filter on tonight with the pump.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,937 Posts
imported post

If it's really running on two front cylinders only, that could indicate a coil or pulse generator. If you have a manual and multi-meter. It's time for them to come out.

Many folks here are much better at the electrical stuff. They will most likely chime in soon.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dennis, might be a good idea to check the coils. They could be failing intermittently. Such has been known to happen.

If my memory serves me right, seems the GL1200 LTD models had problems with the "pulse generators". When they failed, the bike would quit running, after about 20 - 30 minutes, it usually would start again and run good. I was on a ride one time when this happened to a GL1200 LTD.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

So I finally got some garage time this evening. I removed the false tank covers and got down the the coils. Simple fix. The left side coil, outside connection was barely hanging in place.
I plugged it in and went for a ride around the block, perfect performance. I unplugged the wire, and the exact symptom was back. I then compressed the 1/4 terminal a bit with a needle nose plyers and remade the connection, made sure the insulator was snug down to the coil, and then put it all back together.
Took the Mrs for a ride into town for a bite to eat and made it back home with out any further issues.
Anybody else have problems with the primary side coil wires? Can't image what would snag them and pull it off the connector. The natuarl tension of the wiring harness would seem to pull it on tighter, not back it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.