Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 LTD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no resistance whatsoever on my suspension. Talk to me about where to start on this. The back is probably the most noticeable. Nearly every bump means bottoming out. Front is just as bad really.

I've seen some things about replacing the fork seals up front, but I'm not finding much about the rear, or how the air suspension works with all of it.

·
Administrator
27,894 Posts
Reactions: Donty

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 LTD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
For the front I put a set of Progressive springs as it was easier than rebuilding the forks. The rear holds air for a few hours so I was just airing the rear using the Auto Level. Right now my compressor doesn't work, switches gummed up I believe, so I air the rear shocks using the reed valve located near the top of the right rear shock... Until I get time to repair it!!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
There are a lot of spring compressor tools hanging on nails in garages across North America. Let us know where you are and we can send you one to use.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
I believe those bikes have a place on the right side where you can use a regular air compressor to fill them.

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 LTD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a lot of spring compressor tools hanging on nails in garages across North America. Let us know where you are and we can send you one to use.
that would be fantastic.

I believe those bikes have a place on the right side where you can use a regular air compressor to fill them.
yessir. Found both today. Seems like the rear isn’t holding. Front seems ok for now. Haven’t ridden anywhere. Just a few “plops” with my big ass in the driveway. Gauge still reads dashes for now. I’m sure that’s one of many gremlins I need to chase on her

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 LTD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rear problem may be a simple as a leaky hose. Take the seat off and look around.
Alright. Most likely scenario honestly. I feel like some owner at some point left this bike outside 100% of the time. I'm betting I'll need to replace a lot of rubber on this thing.

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 LTD
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
the compressor doesn't come on AND there's a leak. Fuses are all good. Did an eyeball check and quick resistance check on all of them to be sure. There are 2 bundles of cut wires on the bike that I need to get around to at some point. Maybe the electricity is somewhere in those bundles.

·
Administrator
27,894 Posts
Haha well the compressor doesn't come on AND there's a leak. Fuses are all good. Did an eyeball check and quick resistance check on all of them to be sure. There are 2 bundles of cut wires on the bike that I need to get around to at some point. Maybe the electricity is somewhere in those bundles.
Would be a good place to start.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,617 Posts
please use a filament bulb " Tester with needle nose probe " instead of an Ohmmeter, which is notoriously invalid for "Continuity Tests"

you need a "tool" that pulls an appreciable amount of Amperage to test for Continuity.
Ohms is useless, a badly corroded fuse/connection will show "good" with an Ohmmeter and lead to false conclusions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts