Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've acquired a LTD parts bike..less engine...that has a very good exhaust that I plan to change out next winter.
In the meantime, I thought I would pull the turn down extensions off, and just insert them in the end of my current exhaust. They came off easy from the parts bike exhaust...just 3 screws and out they came.
However, on my bikes' exhaust...not so easy...I drilled out the 3 rivets holding the OEM exhaust tips...but, they don't seem to want to come out.
Now, I did notice that there is some factory spot welds around the end as well.
Does this interfere with me removing the ends??
If anyone has done this, maybe you give me some guidance before I move forward.
Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
exhaust turndowns

the ltd extensions are riveted in,but what you may not know is that what you see is not all to the tips,there is an inner tube which extends inside about 12" inside,most likely that inner part is rusted onto the front where it is swaged,on the ltd exhaust i bought i had to basically cut up the exhaust(which) was rusted anyway to get the extensions off
you may have to rig up sort of a gear puller and slide into the end the exhaust and use a slide hammer type of arrangement
i had a sei and it was not actually what i had expected either

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for your comments...yes neoracer, it looks simpler that it is, so I will wait until I'm ready to change out the exhaust.
Next on my list is a poorboy conversion. I have all the parts, just need some time.
Just finished head bearings and Shinko tires front and back, and new bearings in the wheels.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
inside exhaust extension

inside the extension looks like this

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
My LTD has flattened oval shaped turn towns at the end, with rivets. I'm sure it is all stock. I don't know about inside, but I cannot find any rust on any part of them. When I first got the bike, which was pretty much trashed (parts bike condition) and had it apart, I noticed the exhaust was nearly perfect. So just for the heck of it I took some chrome polish and shined it up. It looked like new.

Good luck with the poorboy if you are putting it on an LTD. The extra coolant lines to the AIR valve make it more difficult, but not impossible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.