Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 LTD, 1985 GL1200 LTD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Rednaxs60 Do you have any ideas why one of the ground terminals in the RR coupler would be burned?
I researched a bit but can't figure our any possibilities.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@Rednaxs60 I think I found something.
I was testing the bike, put on another main fuse, connected everything back and saw a little bit of white smoke out of the RR and then everything seems "normal"
The fuse stays good with ignition switch off. I can turn the bike on and all electricals seems working as expected.

So the culprit is that the RR failed somehow and created a short circuit inside? Is it a not-too-uncommon thing for RR to fail? What are the possibilities a RR fails?
I would like to learn more about why RR would fail before installing a new one

·
Registered
801 Posts
Looked at the schematic in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. Connectors look like your pics from too much current flowing through, and can also be because of dirt/grime over the years - excess heat build up. These ground connections are how the RR dumps excess power to ground. If the RR is failing, mainly the comparator circuit - set point should be approximately 14.2 VDC, the RR could be dumping excess power to ground.

I would strip back the wiring harness and inspect the ground wires. If the ground wires are in good condition, the probable cause is dirty connections. You can do a test of the system by disconnecting the green ground wires form the RR connector and using a new ground wire, connect it to the battery ground and observe the operation of the electrical system voltage. Definitely need to replace the connector.

You should test the RR to determine the health of it. If the RR test is good, my vote is for dirty connector, it is 36 or so years old, nothing lasts forever, and probably has not been serviced on a regular basis. An older bike is no different than an older car or a trailer. Grounds are a nemesis.

·
Registered
801 Posts
@Rednaxs60 I think I found something.
I was testing the bike, put on another main fuse, connected everything back and saw a little bit of white smoke out of the RR and then everything seems "normal"
The fuse stays good with ignition switch off. I can turn the bike on and all electricals seems working as expected.

So the culprit is that the RR failed somehow and created a short circuit inside? Is it a not-too-uncommon thing for RR to fail? What are the possibilities a RR fails?
I would like to learn more about why RR would fail before installing a new one
Age!!! Diodes don't last forever. Bad grounds can accelerate the demise of the RR.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Looked at the schematic in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual. Connectors look like your pics from too much current flowing through, and can also be because of dirt/grime over the years - excess heat build up. These ground connections are how the RR dumps excess power to ground. If the RR is failing, mainly the comparator circuit - set point should be approximately 14.2 VDC, the RR could be dumping excess power to ground.

I would strip back the wiring harness and inspect the ground wires. If the ground wires are in good condition, the probable cause is dirty connections. You can do a test of the system by disconnecting the green ground wires form the RR connector and using a new ground wire, connect it to the battery ground and observe the operation of the electrical system voltage. Definitely need to replace the connector.

You should test the RR to determine the health of it. If the RR test is good, my vote is for dirty connector, it is 36 or so years old, nothing lasts forever, and probably has not been serviced on a regular basis. An older bike is no different than an older car or a trailer. Grounds are a nemesis.

Thanks. Yes a burnt connector definitely means too much current flowing through and/or excessive heat built up.
However one thing that I was confused about "These ground connections are how the RR dumps excess power to ground" is, I have always believed this:
  • when battery is fully charged, the excess power from alternator will be dissipated as heat from the RR. and this is the reason why RR is designed with metal fins for cooling.
I apologize for my limited knowledge on electricity. Yes you're right. By dissipating the excess electricity as heat the regulator will need to short one of the yellow wires to ground.

I highly doubt if the RR is still in good health after white smoke coming out of it. But I'll test it anyways. My guess is the diodes may have been burnt and caused the current to be able to flow from the battery through the RR and eventually to the ground (negative), which caused the ground terminal in the connector to be burnt.
Trying to figure out a way to verify once tested the RR.

·
Administrator
27,358 Posts
One other thing is, The electrical troubleshooting manuals I found for GL1200L all missing dozens of pages including the page 157 for RR. Does anyone has a electrical troubleshooting manual which contains these pages?
Thanks.
This should be what you need; 7.7 MB file on MEGA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have a ton of stuff for a ltd. I purchased a non running bike and the old timer made me take a limited that he had that was mildly crashed. he had it for 30 years. It had 3,000 miles on it. I have complete wiring harness, dash with 3,000 miles, lower fairing in nice shape. Complete fuel injection assembly. Sold engine. I have the electronic boxes and many other things. I have bought,fixed, solde 75 plus gl 1200 bikes but only fooled with a few limiteds. I will give any one a great deal on everything.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hi, I have a ton of stuff for a ltd. I purchased a non running bike and the old timer made me take a limited that he had that was mildly crashed. he had it for 30 years. It had 3,000 miles on it. I have complete wiring harness, dash with 3,000 miles, lower fairing in nice shape. Complete fuel injection assembly. Sold engine. I have the electronic boxes and many other things. I have bought,fixed, solde 75 plus gl 1200 bikes but only fooled with a few limiteds. I will give any one a great deal on everything.
PM sent

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just an update on the issue: I have fixed it by installing a new RR. I think the diodes in RR somehow failed and allowed the electrical current the other way and created the short circuit. This short circuit burnt the ground wire at the connector. When I put the third fuse in, the diodes eventually burnt out, created open circuit with some white smoke.
After replacing the RR and did some tests on charging system, the issue is gone.

OEM RRs are discontinued. I had to use an aftermarket one. Hope it would last a while.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
919 Posts
You've heard of BANG diodes, no? They are a very special kind.

I agree with the analysis. There's six diodes in the rectifier, each lead of the stator has one diode going to battery positive and another going to ground. If one diode of the six shorts out, the stator winding with the shorted diode will start getting hot because half of it's output is going thru a short. Charging capacity will be diminished severely. But if you have TWO shorted diodes, one on the battery positive side and the other on the ground side of any alternator winding, the battery will see a direct short to ground, and you either have "BANG!" fuses or "BANG!" diodes. So I guess your white smoke meant one of the shorted diodes went BANG!

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,511 Posts
OEM RRs are discontinued. I had to use an aftermarket one. Hope it would last a while.
If you need another one try Regulator Rectifier.com.. The last I heard they still had the OEM Shindengen...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You've heard of BANG diodes, no? They are a very special kind.
No, didn't hear anything when the diode dies. Just some white smoke and burnt smell.
Maybe the BANG was covered by environmental noise

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
If you need another one try Regulator Rectifier.com.. The last I heard they still had the OEM Shindengen...
Yea just checked their website. They do have OEM RRs in stock. I'll see how long this aftermarket one lasts.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ah the silent bang, the worst sort. Biggest problem is you let the smoke escape, once that happens to electricals its terminal. At least it wasn't made by Joseph Lucas, prince of darkness with his intermittent electron

21 - 36 of 36 Posts