Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 LTD
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have this bike torn down while awaiting my o-rings and I've been thinking about these bolts on the tensioner pulleys. The manuals say to tighten them just enough to where it can still have free movement. I feel like these springs don't really provide enough pull to keep the timing belts tight enough honestly. As many of us, I referenced the Steve video when changing my belts and I swear it looks like he's putting some decent gorilla torque on those bolts.

What's the general consensus here? Leave the free play or tighten? With mine tightened all the way up, I do have appropriate slack, although I'm aware that not allowing the pulley to move may cause pressure to the bearing.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
628 Posts
You only have the play when tensioning the belts, when done you tighten them up

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,880 Posts
I still have this bike torn down while awaiting my o-rings and I've been thinking about these bolts on the tensioner pulleys. The manuals say to tighten them just enough to where it can still have free movement. I feel like these springs don't really provide enough pull to keep the timing belts tight enough honestly. As many of us, I referenced the Steve video when changing my belts and I swear it looks like he's putting some decent gorilla torque on those bolts.

What's the general consensus here? Leave the free play or tighten? With mine tightened all the way up, I do have appropriate slack, although I'm aware that not allowing the pulley to move may cause pressure to the bearing.
Tighten bolts to 19ft lbs when finished adjusting.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
. The manuals say to tighten them just enough to where it can still have free movement.
I think you didn't read far enough. That is for installation of the belts, not the final procedure.

·
Registered
1985 GL1200 LTD
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Easy enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts