Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just a random curiosity for me. I've noticed a lot of them on the roads and on craigslist around the phoenix area lately (within the last year), and there are obviously quite a few owners on this forum from various other locations, so I was just woundering what the actual production run was.

Me and my bike share the same birthday (well, ok, the month and year anyway), so I don't knowa whole ton about the economy in '85, but according to the title the original purchase price was over $10,000 in 1985, and the '84 aspencade I had had an original price of $4900, so given their cost and one year run, I wouldn't think that many sold, but there sure do seem to be a lot on the road :?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I have a book on the history of the Goldwing family and according to that, you are correct that the LTD was selling at $10,000, making it $4000 more than an Interstate and $2000 more than an Aspencade.
Unfortunately no mention of the numbers sold, but it does say that they sold in very high numbers, making them very profitable for Honda and it lead on to the production of the SE-i for the following year.
The Sunflash Gold paintwork with Valliant Brown Metallic inserts were unique to the Ltd and have not been repeated by Honda on any other model.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The Sunflash Gold paintwork with Valliant Brown Metallic inserts were unique to the Ltd and have not been repeated by Honda on any other model.
As much I love my bike, that really is on of the worst paint combinations I've ever seen. :action:

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I had the same thoughts on how many were sold. I keep hearing others say only 5000 were produced but either there was a lot more than that made, or these are iron side bikes, because it would seem all but the 2 or 3 being parted out on EBay are still around and being driven.

By the way, I went and looked at the bike in 85 when it was on the show room floor. One of the things that attracted me to it and stayed in my mind all these years was the color scheme, I love it!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
As much I love my bike, that really is on of the worst paint combinations I've ever seen. :action:
There ya go see, just proves that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, since I happen to think that the colour combination looks very good and I don't even own one.
:waving:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
blackknytecnc wrote:
There ya go see, just proves that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, since I happen to think that the colour combination looks very good and I don't even own one.
:waving:

When I first saw my bike my bro-in-law had just bought her in '85 and I was thinking "Now THAT'S a loud color combo!!!"....:shock::shock:I've since come to realise that there's nothing quite like owning a Goldwing that's actually....... GOLD!!!!!:coollep::coollep:

As far as the amount of Ltd Ed's manufactured there was just a bit over 5000 unit's made... In a history I read somewhere, the original purchaser of the bike was given a certificate from Mother Honda with the owner's name and unit production number. ie: 267 of 5000.... So far though I've not been able to confirm that...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.