Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I came across a Markland light bar set for the GL1200 which I bought in time to have the plastic parts painted when I painted my bike. The set was mostly complete, however, I did not initially install this at that time due to concerns with my marginal stator. I eventually replaced the stator, but did nothing with the light bar until now.

I started looking at all the pieces this weekend (because I was thinking about selling it) and have decided to make a run at updating/installing the light bar (instead).

In the photos below, I show an overall view of the parts laid out along with a few closeups showing the components of the light assembly and partial assembly on the center plastic piece.

Does anyone have this type of setup?

I need to find a source for some of the light system components like the chrome frames, light grills, and lenses.

I am thinking about changing it over to LEDs to reduce power consumption as I would need to run the wire for the lights and it should not be too much effort (correct me if I am wrong) to wire for LEDs vs. 14 - 12V 5W bulbs.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
Lee

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You can get replacement LED bulbs from Superbriteleds.com. just match the incandescent bulb number, 168, 74, 1157 etc.
I'm not sure if you might be able to find some whole LED light units or not that size, then the grilles to match? You could Google Goldwing chrome

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Those look like 194 bulbs, so like Newday said just buy some led bulbs from superbrightleds.com to swap them out...i would think a 4 or 5 led bulb would work just fine for yours, i used 4's in my rear light bars to replace them, worked just fine.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on the bulbs. I will look at the website you recommend. Since the lenses are already red, would you recommend a white light over red LED?
Lee

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
No get red ones. They'll work better and b brighter for you...

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Thanks for the info on the bulbs. I will look at the website you recommend. Since the lenses are already red, would you recommend a white light over red LED?
Lee
If you use white behind red lenses you will get pink color.
Look at Superbriteleds explanation of leds and colors to use. With red lenses, red leds. Yellow lens, yellow leds.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I will heed your advice on the colors.
Thanks,
Lee
Another thing to keep in mind is that the LED's are "sort of" directional. You won't get the brightest light from the LED laying on it's side. A better option may be using LED strips. That would allow you to add multiple LED's in the same space and use less power. Look at meritline.com for LED strips. They are waterproof and allow you to cut from 3 LED's to whatever you may need. I replaced all the light on my 96 SE and it made a BIG difference!

The third image is of the LED strip at a lower power so not to flood the picture with light. One of the strips is 3 leds, the other is 12.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.