Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello.. my mirrors are too tight, i cant even adjust them i feel like its going to brak and it wont move....

one of the mirrors (left) is broken after the crash. im going to fix it, but the ball joint its too tight. there is no adjustment as far as i can see. is there any way to losen up the ball joint a little bit so it wont break when i try to adjust it after its fixed? it wont be as strong as before and i dont wanna crack the job. i already sprayed it with WD40.

i removed a nut and the ball joint came out off the plate that holds it to the bike.. there is a big hex nut? like an inversed stud. instead of a long bold without head. it is a long nut. well i cant see how to adjust the tightness any help???

Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

Spray it with WD40 and leave it to penetrate for a while before having another go. The problem with that nut is if you loosen it too much the mirror will flap about.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Some of them can be adjusted if you pull them off & go in from the inside.

I bought a new set from jc whitney for around $35.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Myfactory mirrors have a nut on the inside that you can tighten or loosen to adjust, but they have to be removed.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i can move them.. but it is really really hard that the plastic above the mirror seems to stretch. now that ill repair the left one. it might break again cuz will be weaker.
i have both mirrors removed.. that nut you're talking about its to hold the mirrors to the plate thats attached to the bike.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Seeing them, they are built differently than mine. I think all you can do is try to loosen them with penetrating oil or go to the 4 sale section of this forum & hunt for a better pair!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

any ideas? it took me 1 and a half month to travel to the US for a couple of parts to finish my bike, i dont know if im going back soon! :(

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Some of them can be adjusted if you pull them off & go in from the inside.

I bought a new set from jc whitney for around $35.
i went looking for the mirrors at JC... but couldn't find it.. then i came back and found you have a 1100... :(!!! my mirrors are different :(!!!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

I wish I had that problem. After I got my bike 5 or 6 years ago, the original mirrors on it would hardly move. From age I guess. Thought I was going to break them while adjusting them. Well, I let it fall on one side and had to replace a mirror, and one other time, I must've had the bike setting to straight up and a high wind caught my cover and blew it over causing the other mirror to break and be replaced. These two mirrors would never stay in place. I was always adjusting.

Anyhow, to your problem, the mirror part and the mount go together as a ball n socket. There should be a nut with a spring under it thats for adjusting the tightness.

To fix my problem of to loose, I had to drill a small hole into the ball and socket and run in a small sheet metal screw to keep them in place. They don't move now! I've since replaced another mirror because of the rubber boot tearing, weather worn I guess. But had to do the same to it. Bought from JC Whitney and from Dennis Kirk. Both places sold Emgo mirrors. Seems to be the maker of older bike mirrors I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

"Myfactory mirrors have a nut on the inside that you can tighten or loosen to adjust, but they have to be removed."

same here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.