Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am firing up my 84 GL1200 from its winter rest and the right side has no spark. Pipes are ice cold and plugs are wet. I started to pull it apart to check coils etc and I got rained out.

The strange part was while it was running I pulled the left rear boot (not sure why I did it but) just as the boot is at the tip of the plug, I hear arching and the RPMs run up.

Slide the boot further down towards seated and it slows or stalls and if I pull it further off the plug it also slows are stalls. Doesn't seem to be the wires themselves as moving them makes no difference. I am assuming not a weak coil either but I am lost on what could cause this.

If I could leave the cap laying there at the spot I could ride it :) but that is not practical.

Any thoughts?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
When you pull the cap off slightly you're increasing the voltage to jump that gap and getting a hotter spark.

Sorry to say but if your seeing wet plugs you'll have to dig into your carburetors to see why your getting to much fuel in those cylinders.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If you remove one plug wire from good running 1200, it will not die.
I think you're left side is doing all the work, and the right is loafing.
+3 carbs.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
When you pull the cap off slightly you're increasing the voltage to jump that gap and getting a hotter spark.
+1

Classic symptom of a fouled plug. When they get that bad it needs a sand blast clean or replacement, usually.:coollep:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have a look at the carbs when the rain stops. Thanks for the direction to start looking in :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.