Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

on my 86 aspencade i ride it almost every day.when it rains i drive my car..ok it has run great all summer but this morning when i started it up it had a slight miss in it..i rode it about 50 miles and the more i ran it the worse it got at low rpms..speed limit it run fine..i pulled the plugs out and they looked perfect..i run a .30 gap on them..put the plugs back in started it and i pulled the plug wire from each plug..on the #3 cylinder there were no change in rpm when i pulled it off..no difference on or off..i sinked the carbs about 500 miles ago..i run seafome in every other tank of gas..how do i trace the problem down..could it be the plug,wire,or the coil..what do u think...thanks for any help

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

You probably either have a vacuum leak or the low speed jet in #3 carb plugged up.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks for the reply..i will spray some eather around to look for a vac. leak..if no luck there i will check the carb...thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
imported post

Did you check that spark plug wire for spark? You said no change in RPM's. A bad coil, spark plug wire or wiring pertaining to that spark plug could be bad.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,957 Posts
imported post

Hi Mustache,

Coil would affect both rear cylinders. Could be a plug wire or the cap, but electrical problems usually show up on the high end rather than idle. Low speed jet would be my guess.

Take the screw out of the intake tube and spraya very small amount ofcarb cleaner or WD-40 in there.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

i got to work a little on my bike today..i switched plugs from #1 to #3 still nothing on #3..spark its jumping good spark to a ground..i could hear it popping each time..now the intake tube screw i think i'm lost there..do u mean the screw on the intake screw where u synk the carb? i think the problem is in the carb.i'm not looking forroward to pulling the carbs but i do have more patience in my old age..LOL
unles there are more sugestions i will start pulling the carbs off next week..again thanks for all the help

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yes, pull the sync carb screw and spray some WD-40 in it with the bike running to verify spark is ok and cylinder will fire.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,957 Posts
imported post

The intake tube/manifold is the aluminum pipe that connects the carburetor to the head. There is a screw in each of them. Yes that's the port where you plug in guages during a carb sync.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
imported post

mustache wrote:
i got to work a little on my bike today..i switched plugs from #1 to #3 still nothing on #3..spark its jumping good spark to a ground..i could hear it popping each time..now the intake tube screw i think i'm lost there..do u mean the screw on the intake screw where u synk the carb? i think the problem is in the carb.i'm not looking forroward to pulling the carbs but i do have more patience in my old age..LOL
unles there are more sugestions i will start pulling the carbs off next week..again thanks for all the help
Thank you. That eliminates the ignition system. From here on out, not that familiar with the fuel systems on that bike. Bad carb, clogged filters or even plugged jets. Not too sure. Vacuum leaks sound like a good possibility though.

What about a bad head gasket? Low cylinder head pressure? I doubt it though, but just a thought.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

a friend has my compreshion tester borrowed i will get it back friday..if compression is good and the wd40 dont help then off with the carbs..i already have kits for the carbs..i will post back when i know a little more..i really appreciate all the help..thank u all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.