Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tall 1200 windscreen was difficult to see over in light rain or all fogged up so I cut 5 inches off the top so I wouldn't have to stretch in such circumstances. I get a little more wind in my face but I immediately saw that I was going farther on a tank of gas. My normal MPG is 40.1-40.3 consistently. I filled up and checked it. Twice. I got 45.1 and 45.5. I was amazed and very pleased. I didn't realize that the screen provided that much resistance. This was new to me and probably not to you pros. I wonder what it would do with no windscreen. I won't be finding out.

The bike also seems faster. One gets used to the same throttle setting and I became accustomed to the 55 mph from my house to town a few miles away. I automatically used the same feel on the throttle and promptly got ticket for 65 in a 55. He was nice and gave me a warning ticket which I appreciated.

Has anyone else cut down their windscreen? Just curious.
ErnieB

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Yes Ernie. I had a tall wrap around. Like you, I need to look over the top. I noticed less wind buffeting. My wife noticed more. Gas mileage went from 42 to 42.2 :ROFL:
Seriously never calculated fuel consumption. I get 42-45 consistently, so I don't figure every tank. 160 miles, just under 4 gallons. Ballpark.

·
Premium Member
1984 Aspencade
296 Posts
On my 1800, I ran it all the way down when I got it new, and on the freeway, was getting mostly 42-46 mpg corrected. On one trip with my wife, I put it up to try, and that tank the mileage dropped to 40. Coincedence, I do not know, as I could not stand looking through it, and so never tried again.

I noticed riding the 1200 again, that the screen is taller in the lowest setting. I too wish it went lower.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To Midnight Express:
Take a Jig Saw and cut it then sandpaper. You won't even be able to tell it was cut. Mine is slick and clear.
ErnieB

·
Premium Member
1984 Aspencade
296 Posts
Thanks for the info Ernie. The screen is new, so kinda hate to take a saw to it, but I do also have a sawzall......

I can look over it, but have to sit up nice and straight.
Also, if I am easy on the 1200, it use to get 45 corrected quite a bit of the time.

I am trying to get the new back tire mounted and a used final drive that I bought off of Ebay, installed, along with fork seals that should be at the house when I get home. Then, Lord willing, I can check it some more....

ME

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.