Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My mufflers on my 84 1200A are pitted and ugly but they are still in good shape no holes or leaks. Can I succesfully paint the mufflers with high heat paint to hide them for about 6 more months?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

what are your plans in 6 months
I painted the headers and pipes going to the hd mufflers on my 2 4 cyclinder bikes lasted cpl yrs looks okay I first used a high temp grey ceramic header paint but did not like the look so sprayed tremclad black high temp is holding up
wilf

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,579 Posts
imported post

You should try and clean them up first. I just saw a thread where a guy cleaned up some pretty bad mufflers andgot themlooking great.

It wouldn't be any more work than sanding them for painting, it will look way better and last a lot longer.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Use some chrome cleaner.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

I have made some pretty bad looking chrome look presentable by spraying some WD40 on it and rubbing with 0000 steel wool. If the chrome is still on the mufflers that should make them look a lot better.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I remember someone using a crumpled piece of foil and rubbing the offending part, it turned out quite well

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Bellboy's suggestion is spot on as far as 0000 steel wool. It's actually a lot easier than chrome polish and a lot quicker although I've never used it in conjunction with WD40. Steel wool is an often overlooked friend. I keep several grades of it on hand and wouldn't trade it for all the fancy polish concoctions at a GWRRA ralley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.