Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site and new to riding.

I just bought my first motorcycle, an 84 GL1200. That's all the tittle says so I am unsure what model exactly(also says 1200 on the engine and goldwing on the tank). It has 30k on it and I only paid $1200 for it. I'm the 3rd owner. The problem I have is, the first owner stripped her down, as you can see in my profile photo. Without all the weight of the trunk,boxes, cowl and so on, it sits about 3" too high! I have to put a brick under the kickstand so it won't fall over. I have no desire to put the bulky stuff back on as I'm new to riding. I'm 32yrs old 6'1" and 275#s and I have no issue riding the bike, but carrying a brick everywhere is no good. So my question is, is there a way to lower the rear or release some pressure in the rear shocks to drop it down, without total replacement?
NewkRider
Couple YouTube videos of the 2nd owner dropping off for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tPssnrpg2Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TwB7G0a8Q0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What you have appears to be an 84 Standard which didn't have a fairing or luggage and it appears to be sitting at the correct height.
Check that the side stand hasn't been shortened or that the pivot bolt isn't broken.

I'm I seeing correctly that it has no front brakes?:?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

What you have appears to be an 84 Standard which didn't have a fairing or luggage and it appears to be sitting at the correct height.
Check that the side stand hasn't been shortened or that the pivot bolt isn't broken.

I'm I seeing correctly that it has no front brakes?:?
They had offered the fairings with it when the second owner bought it. 2Nd owner had to put a new headlight and blinker on it as well as the HD brand seat and aftermarket front and rear fender. And provided me with the recipts for the work and parts. But when he bought it the first owner told him that he had to remove the front breaks in order to get the cowl off and damaged it in doing so. The project became too much of a hassle for him so I bought it. The kick stand is proper length according to the PDF owners parts manual I bought from Honda. There are no bolts missing. my 220# brother sat on it with me and then the kick stand touched the ground without the brick. In my pic you should be able to see it's on a block of wood as the brick crumbled after abuse.
Anything else I can added to get further assistance let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The site cropped the photo cutting out the block. So I reposted it so you could see what I mean.
I am desperate! It's riding season and I want to ride without additional cost(beyond putting front breaks back on). It's a pain in the tookis to require a block to get fuel or a bite to eat. Thanks for any further help.

Edit: Researched the VIN, which says it was an interstate model.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
A picture of the bike without your weight on it and a picture of the rear shocks would help identify what the problem is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep trying to upload photos but it says file format not supported. But they work no problem if I upload it as my profile pic. So I changed it again. In the meanwhile do you know what the psi for the standard model rear shocks should be?
Thanks

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
My 84 Interstate with shocks and forks fully extended sits nicely on the side stand so air pressure is not the problem.

Back to the side stand.
With the bike upright and side stand down how much can you move the stand left to right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forget it. It's not the f#$*ing kickstand. Ill just put some ridgeds on it and stay away from speed bumps. I live in florida where the roads a strait and flat and well maintained. If anyone elses has an answer for how one might lessen the pressure in the rear shocks because they set too high after removal of all fairings that doesn't include kickstand measurements I'd be happy to hear it. Ken, Thanks for trying I guess.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Forget it. It's not the f#$*ing kickstand.
--cut--
Ken, Thanks for trying I guess.
As I said I have an 84 and I could strip it down to a bare frame and it would still sit the same on the side stand.

If you don't want to know what's wrong with yours so be it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.