Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my shocks are done on my 85 aspencade, just wondering if it would be ok to change from air to gas, friend of mine says the gas would be a better ride, but i do pull a trailer and my wife a lot. I really cant find much about this on the net,
thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
With a varying load like you have I would prefer the load adjustability of the air shocks. Gas are great but do you buy them set up for a fully loaded rig or some compromise.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing, ditch the air, for gas.
I ride mine all the time maxed out, feels better, stops better, handles better.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,331 Posts
but i do pull a trailer and my wife a lot. [/QUOTE said:
You pull your wife?

How's that work?

Did you have a special hitch made?

Honda designed you a great bike. Let them do the thinking.
Rebuild the shocks you have with new springs, or if you like, get some progressives.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You pull your wife?

How's that work?

Did you have a special hitch made?

Rebuild the shocks you have with new springs, or if you like, get some progressives.
Ok so I dont pull the wife, but she is around 130lb of weight on the bike :)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
devils advocate: yes, a great job 20++ years ago. (and after all my research and test rides, I chose the 1200 series vs. 1500/1800)
tire tech alone is amazing just in the last 5-6 years.
LED vs. incandescent, helmets, gear..sure, they totally screwed up our gasoline, but the oils and all the filters are way better.
If something can be brought up to current tech and still look like my 86 scooter, oh hell yes

this threads made me do some researching, there are some interesting options in gas shocks- better recoil/rebound in their respective ranges than air shocks can be.
Mine dont leak, hold air all winter and work great, but i'm going to consider gas replacements when the time comes.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
+1 on the progressives. I put the 413's on my 1100 and love them. I too pull a trailer but I let the wife ride. I tried to pull her once but she wasn't happy. Once I figured out what setting to use, the ride is great and no bottoming out when pulling the trailer and riding two up.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I highly recommend Progressive 416s for heavy loads. I have them, and have overloaded the bike with no problems and almost no sag, with about 50 psi in them. You need air shocks, because it is the air that holds up the weight. If you made the springs strong enough to hold up that much weight by themselves, they would have to be so stiff that you would basically have no suspension.

I tried some cheap eBay non air shocks on mine, and with my daughter and me on the bike, the fender was rubbing on the rear wheel. Just a waste of money, time, and a lot of work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone, i went with progressive air, gotta get this done, leaving next week for a 7 day road trip :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.