Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 84 aspencade that has had the carbs rebuilt then taken off again to recheck them. Also new battery, new K&N air filter, new fuel filter, new plugs. The problem is that she will top out at about 68 mph full throttle, sometimes only in the 50's. I only get about 150 miles on a tank of gas, is that normal ? If I pull the clutch in while going 60 something mphthen she will rev up quite a bit more but under load she just falls flat, no response in the throttle. I have run 2 tanks with sea foam and 3 tanks with B12 still no change. This is my first Goldwing and I know that she has to run better than this. just got the bike about a month ago and I am not sure if I needto keep working on her? got 1300.00 invested so far.Do I keep plugging away or sell it and find something else? I had the carb work done and I did thesimple stuff myself, nota mechanic just a do it yourselfer so not sure what Iam able to do.The exhaust does not look stock very short pipes and they arepretty rusted looking. the air lines going to the rear have been cut. the antenna wire has been cut the center stand does not look like it will hold the bike up, there is what appears to be something missing that the center stand straddled when up. It does start up and run just not so good. I am riding it to work everyday about 60 miles roundtrip. It now tops out about 68mph when I started it was 45 mph. Thats about all I know about this bike. Will be happy to hear what to do so that I can be a HAPPY Goldwing rider...

Thanks,

Tony:?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

First of all welcome to the forum. All of these old bikes were designed to run correctly with the stock air filter and exhaust. Since you now have a free flow K&N air filter you are probably running too lean. Pull the plugs and look at the center ceramic insulator. It should be a nice light tan color. If white it's too lean. If black and carboned up it's running too rich. That is called "reading the plugs". You may find that you are only running on 2 or 3 cylinders which would severly limit the power. Reading the plugs should tell you which plugs are not firing.

Also did you run a compression check? If not now would be the time.

Your description indicates that previous owners have cut the bike up some. So you should expect to find almost anything.

A good runnning 84 should easily top out at 100 or more so you have problems. Are you sure the clutch is not slipping? At 68 mph what rpm are you reading? It should be about 3000 rpm at 70 mph. If more than that your clutch is probably slipping. The type of oil you put in her will either cause the clutch to slip or not. The good news is that if it's the oil a simple change will reverse the clutch slipping. Rotella T is very popular with motorcycle owners. If the oil you put in has "friction modifiers" your clutch will slip.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

Actuallly, 300 rpm should net only 60mph. And that's optomistic. However, I once called for a comparison here on the forum and that was the concensus.

Cruiser, who did your carbs? You should ask them to redo the work.I think they have done something wrong.

I agree, the air filter may cause a lean burn but the trouble may go deeper. Floats set wrong, or the wrong size main jet...

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i firstly without further info agree with dennis, but would be interested in the read on the plugs and the compression readings, that bike is probably running on 2 or 3 cylinders and may have some bad vacum leaks, get some brake cleaner from the parts store and spray it around under the carbs while its running, if the engine stumbles you have located a problem, but first thing would be the compression #'s

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

As with my bike, I had 3 ripped diaphragms and 1 with a pinhole in it. With a carb rebuild, pulling the slider/diaphragms and inspecting them are part of the procedure. My plugs were wearing correctly, since I only used only as much throttle as I could get the most power from. I never gunned er or she just bogged down. Definately check the diaphragms if they weren't checked during the carb rebuild. Even a pinhole in them will kill your vacuum and your power.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Make Sure the mechaic changed the main and slow jets My 84 had no power before I changed them they will easily hit 100mph though I wouldnt no ahum...Cleaning mine helped for a while also make sure your getting clean fuel,the fuel filter was changed??Also make sure your getting fuel out the bottoms of all four bowls open them one at a time check for a stream then clean up the gas...

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

70 mph @ 3000 rpm? More like 60 mph @ 3000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thanks for all the info; the carbs were done in Va. the bike had been sitting awhile not sure how long. after carbs were rebuilt he had no filter on bike and ran it. then he took them off and went thru them again and reinstalled and added the fuel filter. I live in the Florida panhandle so no chance getting him to look at the carbs. I will pull the plugs and borrow a compression gauge next week and will post the results. it runs 3200 rpm at 65mph. also I am having trouble with the idle, I can get it set at about 900 when idling while sitting in the yard but after I ride it to work in the morn it stalls when I slow down. Idle at about 400 Have done that twice. So I have to keep it set at around 1400 rpm and it will stay running. changed the fuel filter yesterday will drain the bowls this weekend and let you know what I find.
Thanks again,
Tony

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

After replacing all my slider/diaphragms, I went from topping out at 70 to being able to hit at least 94 in 5th ;) All the faster I tempted and I had plenty more left! lol

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

pulled the plugs and 1 and 2 looked fine nice and tan 3 and 4 were 1/2 tan 1/2 white also drained the bowls and clean fuel out of all 4

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

coil? need to do more testing, what did the plugs smell like? were the 1/2 1/2 plugs smell like gas?

fire it up from cold and touch the exhaust pipes as its warmng up, all 4, are they getting hot at the same time?

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
imported post

:lash:I have had similar problems with my GL 1200I. The CV slides are a prime suspect, especially if you have no power when you get into the throttle or going up a hill in 4th or fifth. I just fixed an idle problem and shudder in the engine when you try and maintain a steady speed or RPM. Turned out to be, RUST, in the gas tank. If you have glanced at your tank, drain it. Then remove seat and gauge sender unit on tank. If you have a magnet on a stick put it into bottom of the tank and see what comes up. Mine looked like a Cheopet. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

if there was no fuel filter, you can bet the pilot jets are plugged up, these have very small holes

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

sounds to me like a fuel problem. start at the fuel tank and work you way forward. make sure theres no rust in the fuel tank, the shut off valve is not obstructed, change the fuel filter and the fuel lines. thistakes care of problems in this area. if it still does not run right go back and pull carbs. clean and reset. the floats on these can be a bit tricky to get right. be patient, these are good bikes. walkabout :)

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

ok i know that the tank was not pulled, to much trouble to get it out i was told by the guy who did the carb rebuild. I filled it up with ethonol free gas and started home 2.5 miles later the bike cut off like it was out of gas let it sit about 5 or 10 min on side of the road. I turned the petcock off and back on shook the fuel filter and choked the bike and she started up went another 3 to 4 miles and off it went again. repeated the process and tapped on the fuel pump and she started again went a little farther and off she goes again, repeted and made it home. went and bought a bigger fuel filter and changed it tonight when i got home. she started and idled a min or so then cut off. I pulled the hose off at the petcock and it flowed nicely, reattached it and disconnected from the fuel pump and filled the filter then reattached to pump ran a little and died. pulled the outgoing hose off fuel pump and a small trickle. how do I check to see if the pump is working. It was not running but I was cranking it. I will drain the tank if need be and do the magnet thing but first I need to be sure about the pump.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

oh yea. the other day when I was just sitting there waiting for her to crank again I noticed some fluid dripping off the front brake lever. after smelling it I determined it was brake fluid. well the day before as I was riding home I noticed that the brake lever was soft so I pulled the cover off the master cyclinder and found it almost empty. then I checked the clutch and also low then the rear yep you guessed it low. So after filling them all I then bled the front and then rear brakes topped them off to the full line and took her for a spin much better. Well now I know why the front master cyclinder was low because it is leaking THRU the sight glass, go figure it seems like it is one problem after another. So now I need a new master cyclinder and possibly a new fuel pump. the hole is getting deeper and i might need someone to throw me a rope to help me get out.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,588 Posts
imported post

You need to access the fuel pump relay to check the pump. It's under the coils and a challenge to get to. Do you have a manual? If not...get one, it will make your life easier.

The sight glass is a different story. I've heard of people fixing that with a dime and some epoxy. Also, I think there is a company that replaces the glass. Do a forum search.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Got a Haynes manual today. well I have a dime and some epoxy so I will take care of that. Also a guy at work said he has an older goldwing that someone gave him at his farm that doesn't run he does not know what was wrong with it. He doesn.t know what year but said it kinda looks like my 84
so what years will interchange? he said I could have it if I could use parts off of it. he said there is no sticker with the date. how can I tell the year he said it is a 1200 with carbs.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.