Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi, I need a new exhaust system for my 84 Interstate. The new stainless pipes for sale dont include a collector box, just two separate systems. Is this ok? Will the performance be different. Seems the only choice is a second hand set, or new stainless. Over to you, cheers, bob.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

I see them on e-bay a lot. I think you could pick up some nice ones, cheaper than the aftermarket stuff. Bear in mind, '84's are different from the other years.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi, Don, thanks for the reply. The motad system is one Ive looked at, just cant get my head round the system not being sold with a new collector box. Will get to the bottom of it somehow. Cheers, Bob.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The Motads don't need it Bobby. They are a quality set of pipes, the only thing I don't like about them is the mufflers are a little bit shorter in length than the stock mufflers.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks norman, thats helped a lot.

Ive seen a Mega chrome system, sold by Niche Cycle Supply, US, sells for £310 odd + post. Do you know anything about these? Motad just seem a bit pricey. Maybe Ime looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for any info you can give. Cheers, Bob.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Motad is Stainless steel. No Rust. Chrome will rust. The salt air will do them in in short order there in the mother land.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Bear in mind, '84's are different from the other years.
I call FUD (Fear, Uncertainty Doubt).

All Interstate and Aspencade mufflers are the same.
The LTD and SEi mufflers are different in that they have turn downs on the end of the tail pipes but will fit.

The 84 Standard has a different part number for the muffler but uses the same header pipes as all 84-85 Wings so they may or may not fit.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Bear in mind, '84's are different from the other years.
I call FUD (Fear, Uncertainty Doubt).

All Interstate and Aspencade mufflers are the same.
The LTD and SEi mufflers are different in that they have turn downs on the end of the tail pipes but will fit.

The 84 Standard has a different part number for the muffler but uses the same header pipes as all 84-85 Wings so they may or may not fit.
are there aftermarket turn downs that will mount to the ends of the 86 interstate mufflers. I like the look and I think it would keep any exhaust off the trailer. But mainly they look neat.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yes there was... Still available?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.