Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon people!!!

I own a 1986 GL1200 Interstate with a little over 65,000 miles on it.

I recently installed a rebuilt starter ( took it out and had it rebuilt a 2nd time).
When I started to diagnose the problem last summer....
The bike was running just fine. I came to stop by my garage and I shut the bike off. The next time I attempted to start the bike I heard a click,,, click,,...
I figured it was just cuz the battery was run down.
It was winter, so I took the battery out and charged it up. When I installed it, I got the same result... click... click...

I did some research about a blade fuse that could have been bad. It looked very similar to this one posted:

I replaced it, and still no progress.

I also researched that it could possibly be the Starter Diode. Similar to this one:

I replaced that also and still it will not start.
I've looked at all the wiring diagrams in my service manuqal, and I don't want to chase down every single wire that could be bad, to find the solution.

Can anyone shed some light on what may be the problem?

Thanks

Lil Richard

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Did you make sure that power is getting to the starter motor itself, ie not just stopping at the starter solenoid? The quick way to do that is to attach a jumper cable to the battery + terminal and tip the other end to the starter terminal on the outside of the starter motor.
If the starter spins when you do that, you have a bad solenoid.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
If you hear the relay click which you said you do the starter circuits are working.

Check for 12VDC at the starter when the button is pressed and the relay clicks.

If you get 12VDC at the starter post not wire the starter is bad, if not start checking each connection between the battery and starter to see where the 12VDC ends.

And welcome to the forum.:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If you hear the relay click which you said you do the starter circuits are working. Check for 12VDC at the starter when the button is pressed and the relay clicks. If you get 12VDC at the starter post not wire the starter is bad, if not start checking each connection between the battery and starter to see where the 12VDC ends. And welcome to the forum.:waving:
A little more info..
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...l1200-goldwing-clicking-not-turning-over.html
I know Ken, but it bears repeating......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I failed to mention, I did replace the solenoid also.
I may have deduced the problem...
When I took the oil filter off, I noticed anti freeze in the oil...
I'll bet the farm there's a head gasket leaking.
And just when I wanted to start riding also.... Grrrrr

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
It looks like you may have lucked out.
If there's enough coolant in a cylinder to prevent the engine from turning you don't break anything.

If however there's just enough coolant in the cylinder to allow it to turn over the increased compression can bend rods and collapse pistons.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
Pull the plugs and see if it turns over. Don't be looking into the cylinder when you do that. However, try and determine which cylinder is flooded, and with what. Fuel, or anti freeze?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
The dog bone fuse only provides power indirectly to the starter solenoid. It is a master fuse for all the rest of the bike. Current to the solenoid flows through the dog bone fuse to the starter button then to the solenoid. The interlocks are in this circuit also. When the solenoid is activated it provides a direct connection from the battery to the starter.

The diodes are to prevent the back flow of current through the starter interlocks, such as on the clutch or the neutral switch. Their failure would not prevent starting but would allow it at the wrong time.

Pull the plugs and check for fluid in the cylinders. Coolant in the oil could be from a defective water pump seal. If there is no fluid in the cylinders, replace the plugs and bypass the starter solenoid going directly from the positive battery terminal to the starter. You may get a spark when you touch the starter terminal. There shouldn't be any flammable fluids near by. If the starter runs then the problem is the solenoid or the wiring to it from the dog bone to the switch and then to the solenoid. Check the interlock switch at the clutch perch.

Do you have a manual? Wiring diagrams are worth their weight in gold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.