Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, just joined. I have an 85 GL1200. Its onlt got 28000 miles on it. Paints rough but ran like a top...until I reached 60 mph. At that point, I starts to shudder a bit like its starving for fuel. I can get to 70mph eventually, just very slow to climb. I have absolutly no issues on lower speeds. Changed the fuel filter, plugs but have gone no further since I put her away for the winter. From a dead stop it goes like mad, but hwy speeds are a chore. Air filter also ok. Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Probably fouled jets or emulsion tubes. First thing to try is a chemical cleaner to see if it gets better. SeaFoam is what I recommend. Not sure but I think someone mentioned it was available at Canadian Tire Stores up there???

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
SeaFoam is what I recommend. Not sure but I think someone mentioned it was available at Canadian Tire Stores up there???
Nope, not available at Crappy Tire, but is at your Napa store. I second a good dose(1/2 can per tankful and ride til you need a refill and repeat)of Seafoam. That will clean out any varnish/gum built up in her. Try that 1st.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Wow, thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I'm off to get some tonight, hopefully get some in it this weekend. I'll let you know. Again, thanks, awesome site. Ride safe.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome tothe World's Greatest Goldwing Site TheDogfather! :waving::waving:

To avoid controversy I'll not ask about your lineage!:cheeky1::cheeky1:I'd check the fuel filter and fuel pump output. It sounds to me more like fuel starvation. If the bike gets to 60mph quickly and with good acceleration it's not too likely that the carb jets are in bad shape assuming it runs well below 60. It could also be a bit of CV slides sticking in the carb(s) too. Sea Foam or another good fuel system cleaner might help there but I'd make sure the fuel delivery was sufficient first.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Did you buy this wing last fall? If you are a fairly new owner, You should give some thought to how old your timing belts are. If they fail or slip, your engine will smash together internally which puts a damper on your summer riding!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I've got the same problem. In 5th gear, at 4k rpm, it runs out of steam. I've tried seafoam, and a few other things, but I'm giving up and rebuilding a set of carbs to put on it.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I've got the same problem. In 5th gear, at 4k rpm, it runs out of steam. I've tried seafoam, and a few other things, but I'm giving up and rebuilding a set of carbs to put on it.
I had that problem too until I realized one of my rear brake caliper bolts had backed completely out and the caliper had swung up and was rubbing on the sidewall of the tire.

Figured that out in only about 250 highway miles too. :gunhead:

2 up with the trailer on.

Wondered what that wonderful rubber smell was when we stopped... :baffled:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hey guys, I tried the Seafoam...wow, what a difference. Will be taking it for a nice ride this weekend and see how that goes, but if the early indications are a sign of things to come, its going to be a great summer. Thanks for all the advise!!!

Bulldog

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Someone pls correct me but I know an earlier post had recommended seafoam as a preventive maint. Will do more forum search...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Good Deal!! Thanks for posting a result. Hopefully it continues to get better. Sometimes it may take several treatments to get as far as you can with chemicals alone.

The onlyproblem with a decent improvement using chemicals is that it really indicates that your Carbsneed removed and properly gone through. You would be amazed at the difference that will make.

Even if she is runnng good now don't think that is all there is;)

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

fatfenders wrote:
Someone pls correct me but I know an earlier post had recommended seafoam as a preventive maint. Will do more forum search...
I know some folks use it as a Fuel stabilizer. I use Stabil for that.;););)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Yes, I was going to remove the carbs and have them re-built but plans have changed for this year, so will try this first. Thanks again guys!!!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

My bike has the exact same issue. I've put a couple of cans of Seafoam through it with no improvement. I also only get 220 km per tank. My bike has 40,000km on it and is super clean but it smokes on start up everytime. My other wing would puff only after sitting for a few days on the side stand.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Back to check output..filter, pump then pull carbs and check float levels and while they are out clean the jets.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Ultra54 wrote:
My bike has the exact same issue. I've put a couple of cans of Seafoam through it with no improvement. I also only get 220 km per tank. My bike has 40,000km on it and is super clean but it smokes on start up everytime. My other wing would puff only after sitting for a few days on the side stand.
Did you just add it to the gas?? You need to use Seafoam "straight down the hatch" as well. Remove the air filter and pour directly into the air intakes on the carbs.

Makes a smoke machine for a few minutes, so be mindful of your neighbours

see: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6187290865726229173#

·
751 Posts
imported post

I myself am a firm believer in seafoam but none ever recomends bg44k this is also a very good product also But Ive only seen it at mecnanics shops I would go here to find it www.Bg44k.com

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
imported post

check for vaccuume leak. and sync carbs ,and run some seafoam through her;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.