Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

When I went to start my bike today I have no power at all. My battery has a full chargewith 12 V and I checked all my wiring connections...all look good. My main fuse is new. I am at a loss of what the problem could be.

Any Thoughts......?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
imported post

Look at the connections above the main fuse, on top of that solenoid. And check the fuse...again.

Why does it have a new dogbone fuse?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

You could check to see if you have voltage at the red wire on the 8 pin connector on the right inner side of the fairing.

Voltage NO = main fuse or wiring from solenoid plug

Voltage YES = Ignition switch iffy

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

You may want to clean all wiring connections at battery and then re-tighten connections. I have had issues like that in the past it doesn't seem to take much to jar something loose.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Check ign.switch. I have to wiggle the key a little in my 84 sometimes.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Frank,
What fuse are you speaking of? The dog-bone one at the starter relay? Did you replace it? Do you mean that you turned the ignition switch on and nothing came on, even the lights?
Bobbydsp

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Took it to the shop today and it was the starter relay.

Robert....The other day when I turn the key I had no power...not even lights. I did replace the dog bone fuse.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Yeah, Frank. I did not replace the relay but did get a new one which you had, I think. Glad you got it fixed.
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

the relay itself was not bad,but was the added on area where the dogbone attaches,which also creates a problem when the connector gets corrosion or a loose connection

making this upgrade in addition to hardwiring the stator connector and the rectifier will give you alot of trouble give
years of riding
http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1004.htm

but its just my opinion on upgrades since alot of people seem to never have had problems,but sooner or later....lol

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Franks' bike has an exterior alternator.
Bobbydsp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.