Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 GL1200 with 64k miles, and have lots to learn about maintaining it (I have owned it for about a year). Over the past week or so I have noticed a strange noise that only happens when I am decelerating, like when I am about to turn in somewhere. It sounds like the sound you make for "ch", as in "Charlie". It is a quick sound that only happens once per slow-down. It has always happened after I have been going at highway speeds and makes the noise somewhere around 36-42 mph.

It doesn't seem to matter if I am braking or not, although I noticed my rear brake disc gets pretty hot after just a short ride with minimal braking. I'm not sure if that is even a problem though.

I adjusted my idle around the same time I first heard the noise, because it had been at 1300 since I bought it, and I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be that high. Now it is set to 900-1000.

One last note: I think that every time it has happened I had totally let off of the accelerator to slow down.

Would you guys please help me to figure out what is wrong with my bike? And please forgive my ignorance. I am just starting to learn a lot of things about automotive repair. Thanks!

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As Sergey said it could be worn splines.
You'll know more when you dig into it to fix the dragging rear brake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I'll try to figure out where to start with the brakes. I have a pdf of a service manual that should have something to say about that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If an 84 is anything like an 86, check those rear driven splines and driven flange often! It's a pain but will save you $$$ in the long run. If there is a bit of backlash and slippage, that's what I would look at. Also check the fluid level in the rear drive- if low, could be generating heat. Putting the bike on the center stand and seeing if the rear wheel is spinning is easy and good advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.