Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,

I sold my Gl1200 to a guy who road it home about 30 miles on the freeway. I got a call from him that part way down the freeway he heard a strange vibration sound, possibly even static sound. Checked the radio and it was not on. He thought it might be a mechanical sound. I have not had any problems with the bike. I asked him how fast he was going and he said he could not see the speedometer (it was night) but he knows it an one point said 80mph. Any idea what may have happend? It is a 1984 Gl1200 interstate with 65K miles on it. It still ran and he got home. The sound does not appear at low speeds, so he tells me.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Second hand description of a sound is difficult to guess at!! If you feel responsible go check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

As a fairly new goldwing addict. I remember 2 years ago. I heard all types of noised comming from the wing, so much that I ended getting rid of it . I was used to the lobe of a 2 cyl with loud pipes, and here was ticking and whining.

If the guy has not owned a wing before I would guess it is just normal wing noise. My last wing was sold to a gentle man who knew nothing of wings except that hey were GOLDEN.
Before he left my property I had to explain every noise. He wasnt used to hearing the engine whine .

Put your self in his position as a new wing owner. The static sound could just be the wind rushiong past the fairing or windshield. This resembles the sound comming from a snow filled TV.
Hence the sound dissapears at slow speeds. He is probably a nervous nilly hoping he got a good buy.

Go and patronize.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.