Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first goldwing a 1984 1200 aspencade, the bike was layed down by a friend off mine when the back tire blew. It's sat 3 years, he started it up a few times while it was sitting. The fering and bags were trashed, but nothing else. So I took of all that, and am going to make a bobber out of it, It,s alot cheaper. When I got the bike home and started it, it didn't seem to run right, I figured it was from sitting 3 years, so I put in new plugs, new air filter, changed oil and oil filter, it was a little better but not right. Now remember the bike is on the center stand and still has the blown tire, so I can't ride it yet. It's popping a little out the exhaust, so while it was running I pulled off the right side plug wires one at a time, and it made the engine misfire like it should have, but when I took them off on the left side, no change in the engine at all, NONE. So I pulled the plugs one at a time and put them back in the plug wires and cranked the engine, and they both have spark, and both cylinders have compresion. Both plugs on right side were covered in black sutt, RICH, The front plug on left was like new, the back plug was gas soaked. I then noticed the regulator was red hot, and found two wires had melted inside the plastic plug. could the burnt wires be the reason the left side is not acting normal? I just ordered a new regulator and hope that fixes my problem. If not I guess I will change the coil for the left bank, maybe it's weak? I cracked open the drain plugs on the carbs. and they all had fuel run out. He had the carbs rebuilt right before the wreck. HELP!

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
He had the carbs rebuilt right before. HELP!
Famous last words and depends on who did it, very few can dial in carbs from reading the forums and three years is a long time sitting.

Compression TEST, will assume plug wiring correct, swap plugs left to right and retest, get rid of the old gas, check for vacuum leaks on LF, then into the rack.

BTW plugs will be rich looking on R/S due to idling and just the occasional cold start over the years with no road time. Wouldn't hurt to check cam timing for kicks due to accident as you will prolly want to change them anyways.

Good luck on the ride and show pictures.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I've found as a general rule on our pointless ignition systems, if you have spark, you have enough spark.
Don't mess with the coils until you resolve your fuel issue.

·
Registered
211 Posts
if i'm not wrong, and i sometimes am, one of the coils run the front cylinders while the other side runs the rear? i don't think it's left side/right side. the front left plug looking brand new concerns me while all the others are coated. this is usually one indicator of bad head gasket, coolant in cyl. run the compression test again for all 4 cyl with throttle open and see what the numbers are. the regulator is there to convert ac voltage to dc and run 14 volts to the battery. really shouldn't have much to do with the coils.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
I've found as a general rule on our pointless ignition systems, if you have spark, you have enough spark.
Don't mess with the coils until you resolve your fuel issue.
I'm going to start using,(STEAL), this... If the bike was down and damaged the fairing/bags, it may have jarred the floats out of spec/setting. Three years of sitting-up with old gas didn't do the small passages in the carbs any good either.

You might get lucky and get by with some good fuel additive/cleaner and fresh gas. It may take 2 > 3 tanks run thru the carbs to get good results, but I'm guessing a trip inside the carbs and a thurough cleaning is in your future...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about the burnt wires in the regulator plug? and the regulator getting very hot? would a bad regulator make the bike act like mine? Also I have another problemI forgot to mention, At the time off the wreck the brakes and clutch where working fine. When I got the bike home and was checking it out I found that there was no resistance on the clutch and front brake levers, nor any on the foot brake, after spinning the wheels by hand and using the brakes I found that they weren't working do you think the caliber pistons are stuck from sitting 3 years? The master cylinders are full. I started the bike and put it in gear, the wheel turns but I have no clutch, I pull the lever and the wheel keeps turning could the slave cylinder be stuck from 3 years of sitting also? I only paid $500 for the bike, I am going to customize it into a bobber style bike, I have all the bags and ferings and badging off. I painted the false gas tank and side covers and fenders with bed liner, it has a dimmpled look that looks cool. I have cats eye led combo tail, brake turn and licence light, and led fork mounted front turn signals, I still have to get a tear drop style headlight. Anyone that doesn't know what a wings engine looks like, aren't gonna know what the hell it is, HA! HA! I just need to get it running right.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Carbs are dirty. My 85 is doing the exact same thing yours is. My 86 did the same a couple years ago, the only cure is cleaning them out. Try warming it up, and use the choke to see if you can get it to smooth out. If not, all the fuel additive you can waste your money on it won't help.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Your bike will run fine without the charging system working until the battery becomes so weak as to not be able to supply the ignition with power. What I'm saying is the regulator is not likely causing the running issue.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
coil problem

The left coil covers the back cylinders left and right and the right coil covers the front two cylinders left and right. You might want to try checking the plug wire end boots on the spark plugs. Look up in side the boot and you will see that you can use a flat tip screw driver, take it out you will find a fused resistor in side check it.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
1200 regulators run super hot. They can get hot enough to melt the insulation on wires touching them. This is a common issue, and there is no known fix. It may help if you solder all the wires, all 3 stator wires, and all the wires at the regulator. Cut out all the plastic plugs. They are a point of high resistance and often get hot enough to melt. Keep wires from touching the outside of the regulator. I tied mine back out of the way with zip ties.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.