Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well many thanks to all who have helped me in the past and now a new problem on the 84 gl1200i. I gave her a bath yester evening and went to fire it up and what happened? She would not start. Let it sit overnight and low and behold this morning she started but ran like hammered S**t. then as what i suspect was the coils dried out it bgan to run better. I noticed also that the fuel pump was not pulsing at the time it was running so badly and i have read somewhere that the right side coil pack (as you sit on bike) is responsible for pulsing hte pump> IS this true and what can i do to prevent this in the future? ANY Ideas are welcome. Will I need to replace the Coils?

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
imported post

could be something broke with or at the time of a wash but unlikely,

prob just needs to fully dry out,

i had a no start after a pressure wash, left it for a day and all was normal again

i was going to use forced compressed air next if there was still a problem

i'm not gonna worry about it if i only have a problem after using a pressure washer, and i got tight in there with it

probably the easiest thing to start with is waterproofing spray cans where it matters,

along with going over all the ignition wiring which ideally is clean and tight with appropriate grease

if it only acts up with a wash, might not have to bother with anything but just be careful when you wash, or what you spray directly

if it acts up in the rain while driving, i'd deff have a look at stuff then

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

GL1200 do not respond well to "baths",leave the baths to wheels and tires,you might want to check that the drain holes by the sparkplugs in the heads are open,water there will short out the plugs from firing

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Check your heads where your spark plug mount there should be a hole through them so water can drain off . If thishole is stopped up with trash and lets this debit hold water then your plugs will short to ground and your bike will not fire . Had this happen to me in a rain storm several years ago .

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Once again you guys on this forum came through for me. I really appreciate your help. THe holes were plugged up and there in lies the problem. Thanks again . You guys on this forum are a invaluable tool for all of us. :claps::action:

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
imported post

I have never had a problem with my 1200 after baths or down-poors from above .....
..... but no doubt, those holes being plugged will cause hard or no starting until drained as stated.Keep them drain holes OPEN by just checking them once every year or two ... or after you go mud bogging. Same deal on other GWs, 1500s are just better hidden from the elements than a 1200. I also do not use even my lower pressure electric pressure washer around gasket joits or seals.

;)

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

To a lesser degree keeping things electrical clean will serve you in the future. So plug wires, coils and electrical wires in general don't mind being dirty.

Introduce moisture (water) and now you have created another electrical circuit to ground with the dirt. Keep these items clean. (It would be EZ if you open her up for other reasons)

Just a suggestion.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

And THAT is why, dispite 3 hours at a pop, I clean mine by hand... front to back, top to bottom, windex/degreaser and rags, followed by polish and wax, all by hand.

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
imported post

My bike is 27 years old this year and the only water that has ever been on her is rain water.. How do I clean her? Mother's Chrome Polish for the chrome, Mother's Billet Polish for the aluminum and,,,

[align=center]LEMON PLEDGE,[/align]

for everything else!!!!:cool::coollep::coollep:

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem but realized what it was the first time I washed her, so now I know and use an air hose to blow the water out each time, but it's a pain because I have to take it apart to do it. I didn't realize those were weep holes at the bottom of the plug wells, should have known, but never put 2 and 2 together..........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.