Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

has anyone changed out their odometer on their 1200? if so, did you adjust the mileage on the new one. i just purchased a odometer that has right at 10,000 miles difference . should i just replace it and not worry about it? bike is a 84 so may not matter????

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

has anyone changed out their odometer on their 1200? if so, did you adjust the mileage on the new one. i just purchased a odometer that has right at 10,000 miles difference . should i just replace it and not worry about it? bike is a 84 so may not matter????

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

I managed to put mine at the right mileage by rotating the wheels...now this is the hard part...

...I can't remember but I think it was turning them backward, starting at the smallest numbers. It was the only way they would turn, I remember that. No harm came to the unit.

On a previous one, I devised an electric motor, and ran the speedo at speeds of 80 to 130 mph for a couple of days to get theodometer where it needed to be. That speedo didn't last very long. :baffling:

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

I did the same thing Dennis did on my '75 Wing using a drill with the same result, speedometer didn't last. On my current Wing I did it the easy way... Put a note in with the registration noting the difference between the speedometer and the actual mileage (IE mileage = current reading plus 99,238). :p

Ken

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

just finished changing out the ododmeter..still doesn't work..could i have gotten the plug on the board wrong? just trying to figure out what to do?????

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

Is it just the odometer that did not work or was the speedometer affected as well? I was just thinking that perhaps the problem was in the speedometer sensor or gear at the wheel as opposed to a faulty dash unit.......

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

How about a pic of the old unit, since you have it out and handy. Focus on the drive gears.

And what drives the ODO on an Aspy?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
imported post

testersbc wrote:
1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. :?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

If it were mine and since the odo only goes to 99k I'd just swap it. The first 84 GL1200I I bought indicated 3k miles. Was it 103k or 203k???

Just swap it out and ride the thing. It's a 30 year old bike.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

My 84 Aspy goes to 999k, I gently popped out the wheels and rotated the numbers to the millage I had on the bike. It's a bit fiddly and if you don't have much patients I wouldn't recommend it :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.