Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK it's time to change the oil in the wing again. The last time I changed it, I used just regular auto oil 10w40. I know there is motorcycle oil as well. I asked the jobber about what really is the difference and he replied that I have to be careful because most bikes have a wet clutch and regular motor oil has friction enhancers, whatever that is, and that will ruin the clutch. Motorcycle oil doesn't have this additive.
Without stirring up debates about which oil is better, which is not the subject here, I'm merely asking if anyone has heard this. The bike seems to be ok with the last oil change but if there is that difference, I don't want to put that in it anymore. IF there has been a discussion on here along this line, I couldn't find it in the search or I don't have time to look through 28 pages of threads that really don't have anything to do with this subject, which is what got returned.
Awaiting, hopefully, for good info, not flames.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Another oil thread. I use regular car oil, non synthetic, 20w50, any brand. I recommend 20w50 unless the temps are in the 40sF or lower, especially on an older bike with some engine wear.

This "friction modifier" thing has gotten out of hand. You will only find that in 10w30 or thinner oil, and that stuff is to thin for motorcycles anyway. That crap is found in car oil labeled "energy conserving" which I wouldn't put in any engine, car, motorcycle, or lawnmower. It's just another scam the EPA is pulling on people. Use what is best for your vehicle, not the EPA.

If you want to do some research, find out which oil has the most zinc and phosphorus in it. Both these are good for engines. They are also slowly disappearing from motor oil, again thanks to the EPA

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
Friction inhibitors/modifiers... That's what you don't want to use in your oil! Yep I've heard of it which is why I run a motorcycle oil without any. FWIW, I run Castrol RS 4T 10w-40 full synthetic in mine and have been VERY pleased with how the bike shift's, etc....

Other members like other brands and I'm only gonna talk about what I run in mine.... :cool:

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so what are you saying? I can use regular motor oil and be safe or should I be using motorcycle oil? Never thought of there really being a difference, just thought of it being hype. It's the clutch I'm concerned about, not the engine.
Another response came in before I could type this so this edit is to confirm that I should be using motorcycle oil not 'enhanced' motor oil. I also read here where a lot of you use delo, which is not motorcycle oil, and it gets rave reviews. You can see where my confusion comes in. I guess I'll just think for myself and not continue with this thread. Sorry for starting it.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
most "car" oils are fine unless they state "energy efficient" or something similar

plenty of "old" oil related posts in the archives

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up getting 10w40 valvoline motorcycle oil. Napa didn't have enough castrol. the jobber there recommended against car oil because they don't have wet clutches. Also, the gearbox uses this oil too so question solved.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
The Valvoline will be just fine.
Honda recommends 10w40 unless you are in extreme heat. Even then, they merely say that 20w50 can be used.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Any normal oil is just fine. It is just the 'energy conserving' label you want to avoid.
How else can we explain SO many people on this site having well over 100k, 200k on their bikes using DELO and/or regular oils? Same thing for cars before synthetics really took off.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Motorcycle oils are usually compounded to resist heat degradation. Air cooled bikes run at much higher oil temperatures than water cooled ones. You don't need special motorcycle oil in a Goldwing. Just avoid the ones that say "energy conserving" or "friction reducing" in the API donut on the can or bottle. I've used DELO 400 15W40 in just about everything I own that uses oil for years with fine results. My '93 1500 had 175,000 miles on it with most of that done with DELO in it. It's fairly inexpensive and is designated for use in diesels which means it has very good viscosity loss resistance. It won't drop in viscosity as rapidly as automobile designated oils.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.