Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, I am new to the forum, I have a 84 Goldwing, while driving down the road I noticed it got hard to shift into gear and my oil light came on? Any help as to where I should start looking would be great.

Billy

·
Down
279 Posts
imported post

Check your oil level if its low add more your 1200 trans and engine share the same oil so if your engine oil is low your light will come on and it also means your trans is low on oil also

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

yup first thing I checked, is full of oil, proper weight, was running great my first cruz on it, I just bought it. driving on the road, was hard to shift into 3rd, then light came on. I shut it down, and trailer-ed it home. I am a mechanic but not on motorcycles, I do have a venture I have worked on, but this is the first goldwing I have owned.

·
Down
279 Posts
imported post

Ok my 85 1200 aspencade can be difficult to shift sometimes when it gets warmed up and from what ive read the 1200's can be from time to time but they are good transmissions did you try starting it up again to see if the light stays on?

·
Down
279 Posts
imported post

Well before i go and say your oil pump is shot i wonder if the oil light sensor may be faultyand/or did you change the oil and filter or has it been changed recently?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Do the 1200's have a screen like the 1000's you can remove and clean?

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

As a reference, I have an 84 aspencade, it clunks from neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd. This is supposed to be normal. 3rd through fifth sre smooth. My oil light will slightly flicker if my motor isn't warmed up and running below 1000rpm.

You need to get the service manual for your bike. I have the Haynes, Honda Service manuals(pdf) and the Klymer book. Message me. They are invaluable to me.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

don't know, I have not taken anything apart yet, wanted advice before I dive in.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome ., good to hear you are a mech.
First thing is to check the oil for water contamination etc. If oil is ok next thing would be oil pres. Install an oil pres. gauge at the oil sender switch and check oil pres.
With age of bike and miles , i would see tech. forum concerning blockage of oil prescreen .

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!
Since you are a mechanic I offer this piece of advice. Internal combustion engines are all the same. They use Fuel Air and Heat to run. They also require oil. Other than the cosmetics it's just about like any engine/transmission you've ever worked on. If you can get a service manual that would help you greatly so you can see where stuff is located and the "proper" way to disassemble re-assemble the various components.

FYY if it's low on oil and it's not dripping (very rare) then no telling how old that oil is.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

ok everyone, I just pulled the oil pressure switch, put my test gauge on it, and the oil pressure is 0, zip, zilch, notta. so should I assume(bad to assume) the pump is shot? what else could it be? Or do I suck it up and put a pump in it and hope the bearings are good.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

I think the first thing I would do is find out for sure if there is a oil screen like the gl1000 motor has if it is clogged can cause problems then for peace of mind I would change oil and filter,also checking that proper filter was used by previous owner,then do the oil pressure test again if you just lost the oil pump if that is what it is. it sounds like you did the responsible thing by shutting down right away good chance everything else will be ok they are a pretty tough engine and a brief low oil should not have hurt it to bad

P,S, if the oil is real old there may be sludge in the oil ways others may have ideas on cleaning the inside of the engine but after youchange oil and filter if you start getting oil pressure again you might want to try some seafoam in the crank case for50 to 100 miles then change oil and filter again . I think it is always better to look at the least expensive ways first

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Billy,

Sorry to hear that (nada oil pressure), I got some manuals here I'll have a look-see what's involved with servicing an oil pump.

I seem to recall that there is a scavenge pump as well...anyway I'll have a look and get back to you.

Bart

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Well,

Good news is you can service the main oilpump without having to remove the engine. It is located behind the front engine cover.

The scavenging pump is in the rear of the motor, which would require engine removal.

Both main and scavenging pumps are of a gear-rotor design.

The manual does mention a drive pin for the inner rotor, perhaps this failed????

The pickup screen, is internal and requires the cases to be split (according to the manual).

Bart

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I called the previous owner, and have receipts for regular oil changes, oil is real clean, he did tell me that the clutch was replaced about 500 to 1000 miles ago, plus new timing belts. so I guess I will pull water pump cover and see if it spins.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Update...I pulled the waterpump cover, bumped the starter a few times to turn the engine over, the water pump did not move at all. Now what????

Billy

·
Administrator
26,535 Posts
imported post

Next would be to pull the clutch and see if the oil pump drive chain broke or the sprocket came loose.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.