Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, my new ride might have been built in 1984 but it is needing an oil change and I am wondering if anyone is using something other then castrol gtx 10/40.

Is there a synthetic that we can use in the GL-1200 or what is the story here:waiting::bow::cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

I have used Mobil 1 in my 84 since my first oil change 4 yrs. ago after I bought it. Sure shifts better than with what was in it. I'm happy with it!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

do you know of anyone htat has used the Deep Purple oil?

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

You can use anything that meets or exceeds the specifications in your owner's manual. Because these bikes have a "wet clutch", you may want to avoid the high-efficiency (slippery) automotive oils, whether they be synthetic or not. Typically, they will contain molybdenum, teflon, or other friction reducing additive(s). Mostagree thatthis could adversely affect clutch performance.

The oils advertised as "motorcycle" oils are supposedly formulated for engines that also have the transmission lubed by the engine oil - like the Goldwings do. The transmissions have all "spur gears", which tend to accelerate the collapse of any oil's "shear strength" or "film strength", as I understand it.

Some of the oils spec'd for motorcycles are made by MobileOne, Castrol, Valvoline, Amsoil, Redline, etc. I'm sure that there are more. You could save some money by avoiding synthetic oils, IF you will be changing oil like, every 3,000 miles or so. Synthetics are reputed to be able to go for up to 12,000 miles or one year, whichever is less. Many will argue with this, but I suspect they are from the era when Detroit made engines without oil filters, and most oils were actually non-detergent by design.

I believe your 1200A specifies a 10W40 oil viscosity for your Oregon climate. I don't know the miles on your ride, but mine is ~65,000, and I'm happy with 10W40 here in WI. I use a synthetic MC oil, but many are happy with something called DELO 400 or such. Pretty sure there are a few that claim to use the "Purple" brand on here...I think it is synthetic. :waving:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the input. My "naked" wing has 51k on the odometer.
I don't know what is in it now. so I am looking for a synthetic to throw in her this weekend. I will stay with 10-40, but it does get hot down here in southern oregon. Maybe I should step up to 20-50 for the summer. Just alternate between 10-40 winter and 20-50 for summer.

Do you know anything about this screw on oil filter?:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

You have a spin-on filter? I would like to have one on my ride, but I'm retired on fixed income, so its not a high priority here. Quite a few forum members have them & like them. Folks have mentioned more than once, the number and brand(s) that will work good, but I have no recall on them... can you do a forum search for keys like "spin on" or "oil filter"? You may get lucky. I think some guys get chromed ones, others paint them to look better than, say, Fram orange or whatever...

By the way, WELCOME to the Forum, in case no one has done that yet!!! :thumbsup:

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

For a screw on oil filter adapter, google "Randakk" he sells them.
as for oil, I drop mine every 3000 miles max so I use dino oil. If you like synthetic than thats what you buy, just dont forget that you will still get dirt, clutch particals & filings in it from the motor. Acid will also build up in the engine so leaving it in there just because it cost lots will not help your engine health in the long run!
your filter is important & I prefer "Wix" because it has more media than fram!
Hatch.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Never used the "Deep Purple" oil. Too much Smoke....on the water! (thankyouverymuch...I'll be here all week, 2 shows on Sunday)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

ok, here is what happened, dump a small bottle of mystery oil in her and ran her for 150 miles. change oil put in some new with a filter. seems like it did the trick. still smokes if i leave it on the side stand for a couple of hours but I have been parking it on center stand so that will help.

I am still planning on going sysnthectic with the next oil change. Probable go with mobil 1 or valvoline

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Yep ditto what everyone says.. Lots of good links on the forum that covers tests,research and what ever. Nothing helps your engine better then regular oil changes. I was using the standard Mobil I Car syn. Here in az I use 20/50 I now use the 20/50 M/C syn from Mobil I it really quieted the engine down and the shifts have improved dramatically although I saw no problem with the mobil I car syn as far as slippage and such. The tranny's are a little clunky anyway but mine seems to have improved. And yes you can put syn in if you have been using dino..you can even mix them as long as Viscosity remains the same. I also use the Randak spin on..Quality product with the wix filter. I have never changed oil yet where it was anything but a little cloudy. I am very happy with the spin on.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

By the way I know lots of folks that have been using the Rotella and Delo with great results.Its just what you feel most confident with I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I have used 10-40 non-syn. oil for all of her 90,000 + miles and i see no reason to change to syn. now. I did switch to DELO 400LE from Honda oil with great results and much more money left in my wallet.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.