Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I noticed yesterday when I started home from work that the ole girl blew a lot of smoke when I started her up. Figured due to being parked on the side stand. but this morning she smoked alot again and continued for 5 minutes. so I just shut her down and figured I would ask some questions.

51K miles on the engine, has been sitting for a while. I am thinking maybe a stuck oil wiper ring or is there something else that may be causing this problem.

Any ideas or suggestions?

:thumbsup::thumbsdown::waiting::?:?:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

start running sea foam gas and oil. should clean up a bit. oil smoke from the left shows valve guides or rings. compression check the cylinders. A touch of smoke as I understand is normal. mine sat for eight years and smoked alot...did sea-foam and changed oil four times at 500 mile distance's cleaned right on up and raised my compression as well... I like the minimal approach and do not panic.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The four cylinder Wings tend to smoke for a few minutes on start upwhen left parked on the side stand for a while. 51K should not be any reason for smoke. The age may cause the valve guide seals to harden an allow a little oil into the combustion chamber. Go for a ride, say 100 miles or so. That will go along way to getting the problem straightened out.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I like these answers, I will throw some seafoam in tonight and run her tomarrow for a couple of hundred miles, change the oil. and on sunday do it again. I got a free weekend and can finally put some mile her.

would mystery oil do?

Would synthectic oil hurt her?

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

It is probably valve stem seals. The smoke usually clears after a couple of miles, much quicker than leaving it ticking over on the stand.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

there has been some thought, that synthetic oil can cause some seals to leak, I'm running a semi synthetic, with a ester base at the moment, and have had no leakage problems,after two oil changes.

·
marlin_1
32 Posts
imported post

just a thought check your oil if its over full you might have a float sticking ben down that road your gas milage might help you also to compare consumption

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I had read somewhere, may have been on here, that when puffs of smoke develop, they (the poster) switched to 20-50 from 10-40 and it stopped the smoking. Before I did my oil change, it would smoke a little when I started the bike, only for a second. I switched to 20-50 when I changed the oil and not once has it smoked. So during the warmer months, I will run 20-50 since I have had good luck with it, then switch to 10-40 during the colder months to see if it goes back to smoking on start up. Don't know if this is the cure for everyone, I just know it worked for the original poster, and it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

some guys say the synthetic makes the clutches slip may want to rethink that one

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

:waving:

Hey Fellow Submariner,

Try some Super Tech Walmart 15 w 40 motor oil in the bike for a few thousand miles.

It seems to swell oil seals better than some oils.

It may help the smoking problem, worth a try and it is good oil.

I rode FBM subs back in the 1970's

See Ya.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.