Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have 1984 gl1200 interstate I recently bought a 1986 gl1200A parts bike it has the digital dash . Can I use this dash on my 1984 if so what is required

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
I would guess the wiring harnesses are different. Also the Interstate uses a speedometer cable, Aspencade has an electronic sender. I'm not saying it won't work, just that you might have a bit of adapting to do.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
the speed sensor on the Aspencade should bolt right up to the wheel like the speedometer cable did.

The aspencade had a couple of differences in the wiring harness as well. One the pulse generators on the Aspy are on the front of the engine while the Interstate has it on the rear.

The Aspy has provisions for a gear position indicator that you will loose unless you also crack the front of the Interstate engine and replace the neutral/gear indicator sending unit.

You will probably have to replace the front upper fairing to accomodate the digital dash as well.

All of this is doable. How much time and effort do you want to spend?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Side note. While the digital dash looks neat I found the I didn't like it as well as the analog gauges on my 84's ( I had 2)

Also forgot that the digital dash has a readout for Suspension air pressure both front and rear. I'm pretty sure you'll loose that function as well.

Sounds to me to be a lot of trouble just to have a digital speedometer and tach and fuel and temp gauges.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

John thanks do you think it would be easy to swap my anolog over to the aspy fairing Im going to be using all the aspy plastics anyway

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Won't work. I went thru this last winter only trying to go the other way, Aspencade to Interstate. The main wiring harnesses are vastly different. The Aspy has three connections from the main harness to the fairing while the Interstate only has two. If you have a service manual with electrical schematics you will find that things like the turn signals are on a different plug on the Interstate than the Aspy. I did use all the plastic from the Interstate but had to use the dash and fairing wiring harness from the Aspy.

Look here for photos.. http://clavesquared.smugmug.com/Mot...-Bike/18716892_js39hF#!i=1447937466&k=5kDs9HH

Good luck with your project. It's lots of satisfaction when you are done...

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
the pulse generators are on the back on all older 1200s, interstate and aspencade, when they switched them to the front, changed for both, (interstate and aspencade)

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Wiiliam 86 is right on. One thing I forgot to mention was I used donor parts from an 84 Interstate onto my 85 Aspencade. I didn't want to use all the radio and compressor stuff on the conversion and thought at first I could just swap the fairing all together and be done...NOT! :ROFL:

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum DLC

It can be done, you will have to use all of the Aspencade electrics. Start with swapping the main harness, engine out, bike stripped. Take lots of pictures as you remove everything so you can look at them to put it back together.

Glen
I grew up in Milford and Amherst and was back there on the bike last October for the big snow(10/30/11) I rode up in your area too.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Thanks Bellboy40. It was a lot of hours polishing and fiddling. I had never even so much as taken a tire off one of my bikes before this. It was a real learning experience. Sites like this one and the other GL1200 sites make it easier to bounce things off of experts. It also helps that I have Venco Wings just five miles from my house...;)

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
John thanks do you think it would be easy to swap my anolog over to the aspy fairing Im going to be using all the aspy plastics anyway
DLC.

Reading this post again I will say you should be able to swap the guages and speedo cable. You, like me, will need to utilize the fairing wiring harness from the current bike's fairing into the one you want to use.

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Glen
I grew up in Milford and Amherst and was back there on the bike last October for the big snow(10/30/11) I rode up in your area too.

Wow, I went the other way...I grew up in Santa Ana, worked a career in Ontario Calif. and moved back here after I retired :waving:

I plan on riding out there in the spring to visit my brother and some old friends in AZ.

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Wow, I went the other way...I grew up in Santa Ana, worked a career in Ontario Calif. and moved back here after I retired :waving:

I plan on riding out there in the spring to visit my brother and some old friends in AZ.

Glenn Clave
Loudon,NH
A small world isn't it!
I stopped by Ans visited with Jim and his wife at Venco Wings while there and bought a few things to support them some. Good peeps.

Give a holler when you are headed out to AZ. I have friends up in Flagstaff, might run over for a visit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.