Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello,
I have a 85 interstate 1200. I decided to bleed the front brakes today because i have noticed over the last few months they started feeling more spongy and low on the lever. I think i have decent mechanical skills, but maybe not?? So according to the manual it says to do the right caliper first, so when it says right does it mean right one while sitting on the bike, or the right one while looking back at the bike from the front tire? Well i decided the the right one while i was sitting on bike (brake lever side) which is odd, when in my car i always start furthest away? anywayyyyyyyyyyy, topped resevoir, had friend pump lever, then hold, i cracked bleeder and nada?? no fluid, so kept doing it, 7,8,9 times and no fluid? So i switched sides (now on clutch side) and that caliper bled ok, seemed normal, so i bled it for a while, letting a lot of fluid move through the lines (while making sure reservoir didn't get to low of course). Then went back to other side (brake lever side) and tried that caliper again, and nada? no fluid will come out of bleeder????? I then cracked the main brake line bolt on the caliper (while using the same pump and hold routine) and i saw minimal fluid seep around bolt edges, but not really drip? I did that a few times. then back to bleeder and still no fluid coming out? The brakes definitely are not the best, considering i dont have anything to compare it with, its hard to know how long or how low the lever feels, but i feel safe saying its not great the more i think about it. The bike stops fine, just takes a little more squeeze to do it.
Soooooo i assume this is not right? What steps do i do to backtrace what or where the problem is? I never thought about it, but how can i check to see if that caliper is even closing when i squeeze brake lever? anyway any help appreciated

thank you very much !

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

When you bleed the right caliper( the bike right sitting on it) do you get any thing coming out at all. Air noise?

I had a bleed nipple break off at the base. this ment it would not bleed. I just replaced the whole bleed nipple assembly. Just out of interest the type of bits on the brakes for mine were goodrich own make. Very easy to source.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I am not up on the bikes later than mine but I believe you have a linked system. One caliper on the front is activated by the foot pedal, the other front caliper by the hand lever. Chances are you now have to bleed the rear and right front caliper using the pedal.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
I am not up on the bikes later than mine but I believe you have a linked system. One caliper on the front is activated by the foot pedal, the other front caliper by the hand lever. Chances are you now have to bleed the rear and right front caliper using the pedal.
As mentioned, you have a linked brake system. Linked brake systems started with the 83 1100's. Since you've indicated the handlebar lever activates the left front brake when bleeding, then the foot pedal controls the right front and rear brake. Bleed the right front first as it's the futherest from the rear master cylinder then bleed the rear brake.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

pull out the entire bleeder nipple. I believe you may find the small fluid passage hole on the side of the bleeder itself to be plugged. clean out the hole and blow compressed air through it and reinstall.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I once rebuilt a rear caliper that refused to bleed.I took the bleeder off and poured some brake fluid down the little bleeder hole,replaced the bleeder nipple leaving it just open enough for a trickle of brake fluid and air to exit.
That did the trick.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

The right front is linked to the rear brakes. Bleed the right front first using the rear pedal, then the rear brake. The front hand brake operates the left front only.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,273 Posts
imported post

Hi Red,

In case you didn't know...and some don't.

Now that you've opened that bleeder, you have to bleed the rear too. That means pulling the left bag to get to the caliper. Rear master is under the right side cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.