Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1984 ASPENCADE 1200 REPLACED THE THERMOSTAT WITH 82 CENT, REPLACED THE WATER PUMP (IT NEEDED IT) STILL HEATING UP QUICK. Is there a procedure to bleed the system i'm missing? the res backs up fast when it heats up, and i won't let it go past 5 bars befor shutting down.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I usually let it warm up good with the cap off and make sure it looks like it's flowing good. My 84's normal operating temp is at 5 bars. You may have a bad cap if it's letting fluid past it into the over flow.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

Five bars is not overheating. Is the fan coming on?

When you run it open, look for bubbles. Also, look for oil film in the radiator spoutand water (milky foam) in the oil.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

the fan never engages. I've even manually ran the fan and it still heats up

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

short of pulling the engine, how can i fix this in time to ride the Trail Of Tears ride this weekend?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

If you are not getting bubbles in the radiator while it's running, and assuming your new cap is good, and you are only hitting 5 bars, then you shouldn't be dumping anything to the over flow and it's probably not hot enough to turn on the fan. I have seen some differences in the 1200s where some say they normally run 4 bars and others say 5 or 6, but you still are not hitting over heating at 5 bars. If it hit 8 I would get concerned. If you can't keep it from filling up the over flow then you are some how adding too much pressure to the system. Didn't install the thermostat the wrong direction? I've seen that happen before, it can cause poor flow and higher pressure.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

It might be good to check the thermostat like J says, but other than that, just ride the thing around for a while. If it doesn't run up past 6 bars or steam, hiss and overflow like a hot radiator should...it's probably OK. Just ride it.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks to all. Its time to ride. I'll let you know how it goes. THANKS,
Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.