Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Road home from work today. left bike idoleing in drive, pressed door button in garage, bike boiled over in 30 seconds.
Gage shows normal at speed, what went wrong?

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

This could be a number of things. Gage may be bad to start with. It must have been hot when you stopped to open the door to boil out that quick. That being said, the fan should have come on to help in the cooling. Did you check the fan out to see if it was working? The thermostat could be stuck closed but without knowing how far you rode, it's only a guess. Low fluid? I would start with the fan and making sure system is full and them go from there. Can't over look a bad water pump also. Check the easiest first and go from there. The brains of this site will let us know what I forgot.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

Head gasket is a possibiliy but usually it is a gradual heat rise and white smoke will show it's ugly head. That doesn't mean that it isn't a head gasket.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

A quick change of subject smokepole. How about visiting the members map and put yourself on it. I am gathering all the Michigan members on a list with the thought of a meet and greet next spring or summer somewhere in the state.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Yesterday was not a hot one, did not look at gage before stopping, dog wanted out real bad so did not hear fan.
Was a half hour ride home from work, and half way home (70 mph)gage was only about a third up from cold (normal)
It normally gets near the H idling at traffic lights fan on, on hot days

Will attempt to find members map. Maybe find someone near chelsea with enough toys to do carb sync

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Excess heating, boil over could be too much coolant, too much water, too much anti-freeze. The mixture and quantity must be 50-50 or 60-40 with distilled water the last number.

If that is OK the rad may be blocked or T stat too slow to rise.

While on highway you may have enough air flow, but as soon as you slow/stop there is no exchange.

Also check out the water pump since not enough water(coolant) flowing the exchange of heat can't take place.

A quick test with an IR temperature gauge to the complete front of the rad will tell you where the heat load is, it may be getting clogged up and that will reduce heat exchange.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Water pump, grrr
Will need to find shop manual
I guess I shouldnt have changed the coolant this spring. The old stuff worked just fine.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

So you think it's the waterpump? Not difficult to change but you should buy a OEM waterpump. I bought mine from westernhonda. Just google them. This web site will give you all you need to change waterpump. Down towards the bottom of thepage.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

How did you determine it was the waterpump?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

have finished running in driveway. Its offical, fan doesn't run.
Fan fuse is hiding where. That on of those fuses hiding under the false tank or seat

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

sounds positive so far smokepole, fan fuse should be about here, just above the battery under the seat...marked as such for me by PO..!!
Cheers,
Peter.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.