Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 Aspy and have found that if I go over 70-75mph within about 100 miles my temp gauge is all the way up. I have boiled over with my coolant a little bit and refilled. Has anyone had this problem? If I keep my speed below 70 and not much highway riding the temp will only go to 5 bars. I shoot my heads with a temp gun and they are at 180-200 and the radiator is around 117 degrees. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks Goat

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Since your fan is always on, it's hard to tell. If you have to go that fast, for that far, I would suspect your radiator may be partially restricted and unable to dissipate the added heat. However, the cooling fan should not need to be on at freeway speeds.
I have to add a caveat. Last summer, 105 degree's, 70-75mph, my fan did cycle. So there's a limit to the amount of heat that can be dissipated.
Since it did boil out, you do have a concern.
Either a restricted radiator, or a head gasket letting go. I wouldn't suspect a t-stat since it runs decent a lower speeds. Again, it's tough to say for sure, since your fan doesn't operate normally.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
My 1200LTD always runs at 6 bars, summer and winter. I have it rigged up so I can either let the fan cycle, or bypass everything and let it run all the time. That is usually for stop and go traffic in the summer. The only time it has gone above 6 bars was back a while ago when I was having serious overheating problems with it on startup. Totally different from your problem however, mine would boil and blow coolant out the radiator cap about 5 minutes after a cold start. I checked everything, and never actually did find the cause. I suspect it was air trapped in the engine. It is running fine now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.