Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

A friend of mine has a !200 whose stator has quit working. He ordered the Geo alternator conversion and it should be here this evening. He is bringing his bike to my garage where we are going to remove the faring, change the timing belts and install the conversion on his bike. I did it on the 1100 I had but it should be easier on his 1200 because the kit is made for it. I had to fabricate brackets for mine. He uses his 1200 to get to work so I know he will be glad to get it working again. Wish us luck on his project.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
imported post

Goodluck from across the state.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

You really dont have to take the fairing off Bernie but it might be easier. The left bracket where the horn is mounted has to be ground smooth in the center is probably the hardest part but I also found unhooking the wire plugins on the left side when I replaced the steering bearings is also fun on the 1200s so its kind of a toss up. Working carefully with a 4 inch hard grinder, a 5 inch air sander and a air cutoff tool worked for me. I just ground a while and hit it with the air blower to keep the metal cool and not hurt the fairing and put the nuts back on theback bolt so the grinder didnt hit them. that probably took a hour to do. Have Fun. JB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Bernie, my experience tells me that if you got it done on the 1100, then the 1200 will seem like you threw the parts at the bike and they fell into place.

Again I'll mention that I sent Mr. Piggott the 3-view of the upper bracket for the 1100 that I designed, and some basic instruction differences for the 1100, so he should be able to sell kits for the 1100 now.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Removedthe side faring panels, engine guards, faux tank, seat, radiator and timing belt covers last night. The pulley in the kit has been updated. It is bigger and looks better than original one. I will get the hole cut in the covers today at work and tonight we will replace the timing belts, fit the covers and start on the alt. bracket. I really like my friends 1200! 1984 with 46,000 miles on it. I hope he lets me test ride it when we are finished. I love doing this stuff but Lois was a little miffed that my dinner was cold when I came up for the evening.

Bernie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.