Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello, I've had my 1984 GL1200I with 72,000 mile engine since December 2004.

She has started instantly on full choke at 32F and half choke at 90F. She has needed some choke until engine temp warms into blue zone. After a full warmup to center of temp gauge and a short shutdown, she doesn't seem to fire with closed throttle. Applying some choke and primingfor a few turns with ignitionoff gets her alive and running good again.

We are at 5,000 feet. The carb pilots are out 3 turns which is likely too rich. (I didn't understand the initial setting recipe in the manual.) The plugs (1,000 miles) are dark gray or black, the same as the other Hondas I've had in Albuquerque. I have run 2 cans of B12 through her. The seller claims the carbs were cleaned and the vacuum chambers are shiny clean. I've been using Phillips 66 mediumgrade at 89? octane. Once running, she pulls strongly with no hesitation to 5,000 rpm.

I just pulled the muffler baffles, which should lean the mixture. (A normally jetted Yamaha VStar 1100 I had with Cobra straight pipes ran like a banshee). I wonder if the gas in the carbs is boiling off because they are above and in the engine heat? Especially when the ambient hits 95+F? I read a thread recommending Chevron Regular gas which I am going to start using today, hoping the slower burn characteristic might help.

Thanks, Bob Rust Albuquerque :cool:

PS: I call the bike her (or mypretty old *****) because she takes my $$ and time and effort butdeliversonly promises of a good time,to keep me fizzed up and interested. A little sample of what she can dokeeps coming back.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

I read something about this before Bob, ie fuel boiling off and causing starting problems. I can't find the thread now but it's probably there as all the posts are kept in this forum and they don't get deleted. :waving:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.